Author Topic: Chronograph Recommendations?  (Read 652 times)

Offline TommyD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Chronograph Recommendations?
« on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »
My old Pact Chronograph has given me 20 years of service, but sadly I think that it's about to give up the ghost. So I'm looking to get a new one.

I would imagine that the technology has changed a bit in 20 years, so I am asking for advice on what's good on the market today.

I won't say that price is no object, but I am more interested in quality rather than the cheapest bargain out there. My price/performance point leans more to the performance end.

Tom
--------------------------
NRA Life Member

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Chronograph Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:38:52 AM »
I bought the COMP ELECT PROCHRONO DIGITAL CHRONOGRAPH and the hardware/software kit to control it with my laptop.I have been extremely pleased with it.  Still needs good sunlight to work properly as all do.  Don't forget to purchase a shield from there website if you shoot gaschecked bullets.  Knocked some buttons out on the front, sent it in, they fixed it for cheap.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »
Still using my Oehler from 1985.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12:12 AM »
My old Pact is still working but rarely use it as the club has one I can use, so mine doesn't get out much anymore. Can't remember the name of the club chrono, but it's pretty basic and tells me what I need to know. That's the one I'd buy if I needed another. I think the price is <@200. I'll try to remember to make note of the brand and post it here next time I'm out there.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:18 AM »
My old Pact Chronograph has given me 20 years of service, but sadly I think that it's about to give up the ghost. So I'm looking to get a new one.

I would imagine that the technology has changed a bit in 20 years, so I am asking for advice on what's good on the market today.

I won't say that price is no object, but I am more interested in quality rather than the cheapest bargain out there. My price/performance point leans more to the performance end.

Tom

Why not send it back to PACT?  They're an American company.  Other brands are made in China.   ???
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
I'm completely happy with my Shooting Chrony F-1 master.
The "Master" models have a remote display that can set right on the bench with you. Very handy.
http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_SCMMCM.htm

Tip;
The more expensive Alpha and Beta models say they offer more data, in actuality the F-1 has the same memory chip and for under ten bucks and a trip to Radio Shack you can make a momentary switch that will access that memory at a touch.

Otherwise the unit has done it's job for me just fine for about 4 yrs now. There are several topics in the archives about chronies,, do a search.

found elsewhere

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
technology hasnt changed much. Ohlers are still hands down the best if cost isnt a factor. Ive got a new pact. Its much better then the chronys i had but still no were near as good as the buddys ohler.
blue lives matter

Offline hpdrifter

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »
Tom

Why not send it back to PACT?  They're an American company.  Other brands are made in China.   ???

Since it's still working that might be viable.  I sent mine back when it quit working and they couldn't repair it.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
If you can afford it buy the Oehler.  Got an Oehler 33 I bought in 1980 and it is still going strong.

Ken
NRA Life Member