Author Topic: Budget .32 H&R?????  (Read 851 times)

Offline L_Kilkenny

• Trade Count: (0)
Budget .32 H&R?????
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:16:51 AM »
First post here Ladies and Gentlemen. I'll do formal intro in the proper location as time allows but for now ..........

Been wanting a .32H&R rifle to go along with my Ruger for some time now, It's just never been in the budget. Last week I stumbled across info regarding converting single shots to the .32 using Enfield barrels and also barrel inserts. The inserts are rather self explanatory but I'm curious in the barrel conversion. Think I can find the same info today I found last week? Not a chance.....

Talk to me.

Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Budget .32 H&R?????
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:22:50 AM »
Welcome! Adapters and inserts are discussed at length in the recent discussion on them down the page. Another option is to have a stub made using an Enfield barrel, lots of them done here, mostly by Larry, see barrel stubbing in the FAQs sticky. Track of the Wolf sells liners as another option.

Tim

http://www.mcace.com/

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,247817.msg1099437917.html#msg1099437917

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1/LINER-40-65
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:27:26 AM »
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline L_Kilkenny

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies even though I posted in the wrong spot......  :-[  (If mods could fix I'd appreciate.

I've read much on here about the inserts and haven't crossed them off the list. Just figure the offset of adding sights or drillin and tappin might make a new barrel more feasible.

Thanks again, LK

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:37:45 AM »
qucik  is  quicker....why we call him that...or he calls himself that unchallenged
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Rimfire_223

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
There are shotgun chamber inserts on amazon that run about 30.00.
they range from 9mm to 44magnum.
  I use a Mosin nagant with a insert from Sportsmansguide.com
  I actually reamed it a little deeper and am shooting 327 fed magnum through it now.
327 is a potent little round I need to chronograph it and see what kind of velocity I am getting.

Offline L_Kilkenny

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »
Thanks for the info R223, Not really interested in a "chamber" insert. Figure I have a .32 Ruger that I'm fair with and I'm looking for power AND accuracy beyond my standard handgun ranges. Think small game to coyotes out to 100 yards give or take and a step up from a .22M.

I'm wanting to set this up as a dedicated rifle. If I go the insert route it will be full length (or close) and permanently installed. Worried about ejection with the inserts though. Just not familier with any of the options enough to make the call.

In reality there are a whole bunch of wiser options out there for me. The new .17WSM will be out soon,  a .357 would serve me just as well maybe better, there's still the .22M (been there, done that, more than once I may add), heck even my .243 Carbine with reduced loads. But my favorite woods bummin gun is the above mentioned Ruger .32 and I'd really like to match it with a rifle. Not wanting to spend the $800-$1000 for a Marlin .32 and being they only came with the 24" barrel, it'd take substantial work to get it down to what I want anyway.

Thanks for the help guys, LK

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:30:12 AM »
You and I have the same problem... i want a .327 fed in a handi rifle barrel. want, not need. can't afford to just have it custom built. I have a couple of the pieces to the puzzle but still waiting for funding for the rest. sure wish i knew a machinist in my area.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
the key  words  budget  and  32 H&R

get the 30-30  to 32H&R adapter........get 2...one to load one ready
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm
and you will have a  nice 30-30 to boot

i like my 357 handi the best....its  is now/also  a 357 max
you might just  NEED another ruger in 357....we all NEED another gun

the inserts into a shotgun  are not at all impressive to me
my only experience is with 12ga to 38......
.i have 3  and it is a cheap quiet way to make the gun go bang..
and use shot shells for kids  in the short barreled 12ga

Offline L_Kilkenny

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »

you might just  NEED another ruger in 357....we all NEED another gun

Already covered that one, just don't like it as well :wink:

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
i forgot  i did have a 222 to 22lr adapter 
was accurate in my contender  pistol

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
If you are discounting the chamber adapters then 'Budget .32 H&R' may be an oxymoron.......
I would prefer an insert barrel, and at a length that would optimize the ballistics of the cartridge (ie, too long a barrel will not result in more velocity). You can buy one, or make one.
A length of the proper dimension barrel can be fit into a shotgun barrel as an insert by turning a shotshell base breech end and an O-ring carrying muzzle piece for a firm, lubed insert fit. Chamber to 327 and you should be able to shoot the S&W 32 Short on up to the 327. The extraction can be as simple as a small filed notch at the rear of the chamber to hook a pocket screwdriver into. Sights or scope base are as complicated as you want to get. I would prefer the basic type rear peep, that requires two D/T'ed holes.
If you made two (often it is about as easy to make 2 as 1 in a project) you could sell one to offset your costs. If decently done, and not terribly priced, I dont think you will have trouble finding a buyer here.

On the budget end: I think I would seriously look at a chamber adapter of 32H&R to 30-06 or 308 (I know there was one for 32 ACP). A lead bullet will swage down to the bore, just dont make light loads that 'might' stick one in the bore.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974