Author Topic: Shotgun bead question  (Read 866 times)

Offline mudgunner49

• Trade Count: (0)
Shotgun bead question
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:09 AM »
Folks

I'm looking to put a fiber optic front sight on my 12 Survivor - anyone know what thread I'm looking at for the new sight??

Any specific recommendations???

many thanks

blake

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Shotgun bead question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
I recommend the Snap On Fiber Opitic sight from Tru-Glo.  It cost anywhere from $15 to $20 bucks, depending on where you get it from.  It is pretty bright and works well on my shorty (18.5") 12 ga. survivor.   Saves a trip to the gunsmith for drilling and tapping, then mounting the sight.  Just the D & T alone would be $15 to $20 then ya got the cost of the sight.  JMHO.  Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline mudgunner49

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »
I recommend the Snap On Fiber Opitic sight from Tru-Glo.  It cost anywhere from $15 to $20 bucks, depending on where you get it from.  It is pretty bright and works well on my shorty (18.5") 12 ga. survivor.   Saves a trip to the gunsmith for drilling and tapping, then mounting the sight.  Just the D & T alone would be $15 to $20 then ya got the cost of the sight.  JMHO.  Bobby

bobby

I don't need D&T - I'm replacing the brass bead that is currently on the gun so I just need to know what the pitch of the thread is.  I'm not a fan of the snap-on but will keep it as a last resort if I can't come to any other resolution.

thanks

blake

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
3-56 is a standard size on most H&Rs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mudgunner49

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »
Tim

Thanks - I'll go with that and cross my fingers...

blake

3-56 is a standard size on most H&Rs.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
It may be 3-48, both have been reported as shown in this old discussion, it prolly depends on when it was made, H&R has switched rifle sight mounting screw thread size more than a couple times, wouldn't surprise me if they've done the same with shotgun beads.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,98849.msg1098255417.html#msg1098255417

Offline mudgunner49

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
Tim

3-48 or 6-48???   I can't find 3-48 anywhere so I've ordered 3-56 and 6-48 both - If it's neither of those I guess I'll keep looking...

thanks again

blake

It may be 3-48, both have been reported as shown in this old discussion, it prolly depends on when it was made, H&R has switched rifle sight mounting screw thread size more than a couple times, wouldn't surprise me if they've done the same with shotgun beads.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,98849.msg1098255417.html#msg1098255417

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »
order one of those kits that
come with the new bead and
the correct drill bit and tap
and change it to 6-48
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »
3-48, I checked my Pardner, it's a #3, but I dunno what the thread is for sure, I have a thread checker someplace....that I can't find!  :-[  I rethreaded my M1908 to 6-48 for a fiber optic sight, the hard part is trimming the stud flush with the bore, lots of filing and checking. 

Tim

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »
did you inadvertently pitch
your pitch gauge?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
I don't think so, just don't remember the last time I used it and where I put it when I was done, for all I know I loaned it to my son, it's not something I use every day, so with my memory, it's bad news. I bought a new Redfield rangefinder a couple years ago, used it once that I remember, can't find it either, it was prolly layin out in the woods where I used it year before last, next time I'm there I'll look for it, but I don't have any hopes that someone else didn't find it.  ::)

Tim

Offline mudgunner49

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
I don't think so, just don't remember the last time I used it and where I put it when I was done, for all I know I loaned it to my son, it's not something I use every day, so with my memory, it's bad news. I bought a new Redfield rangefinder a couple years ago, used it once that I remember, can't find it either, it was prolly layin out in the woods where I used it year before last, next time I'm there I'll look for it, but I don't have any hopes that someone else didn't find it.  ::)

Tim

Yeah, I've got one of those too - I think...