Author Topic: Great Ruger 77 from Gander Mountain  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Dresden

• Trade Count: (0)
Great Ruger 77 from Gander Mountain
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »
I bought a used Ruger 77 at Gander Mt., it was rebarreled with a stainless barrel in 35 Whelen and topped with a
Luepold 1.75-6 power scope. It was more than reasonable on the price, I figured the guy sold it because it wouldn't shoot. I tightened the scope screws, all were loose.

I used Federal 200 grain Fusion ammo, a very good ammo in my opinion.

Her are the results of the initial sight in.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: Great Ruger 77 from Gander Mountain
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
Awesome, you truly have Thor's hammer.

I have a Ruger M77 MKII in 270 Winchester that I thought about making it into the 35 Whelen, but its so accurate with IMR-4831 and any 150 grain bullet I tried.

Instead I  found a very lightly used Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 338-06 A-Square, almost a 35 Whelen.

yooper77

Offline Dresden

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
A-Square is very good, "Any Shot You Want" is worth owning. It's to bad the bullet works went out of business.

A 338-06 is a great cartridge, I made one of my K98k Mausers into a 8mm-06, the 30-06 parent case has given birth to a lot of greats, some like the 338 and 8mm-06, and 35 Whelen are real heavy bullet guns and hit harder than an 30-06.

The Federal 35's I bought have a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps, and when it shoots you know you shot.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
The Model 77 is built in a wide variety of calibers.  I bought mine in 22 caliber, SST, 10-round magazine, with tactical black stock and polished rosewood inserts. It spits the cheapest Remington/Federal, bulk, 36 grain, lead, HP, rim fire ammo to within the distance of a Quarter at 65 yards.  It is THE most accurate rifle that I have, which is not reloaded ammo.  Under a Weaver Classic 4X scope it brings squirrel, raccoon, and hogs to 150 pounds down on contact when shot between the "X" of ears and eyes from within 25 yards.  It is no Safe Queen and lives by the upstairs balcony doorway, ready to eliminate trespassing critters around the pond at a moment's notice.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
A-Square is very good, "Any Shot You Want" is worth owning. It's to bad the bullet works went out of business.

A 338-06 is a great cartridge, I made one of my K98k Mausers into a 8mm-06, the 30-06 parent case has given birth to a lot of greats, some like the 338 and 8mm-06, and 35 Whelen are real heavy bullet guns and hit harder than an 30-06.

The Federal 35's I bought have a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps, and when it shoots you know you shot.

I never heard of that book, I will have to check it out thanks.

I forgot to add, very nice Leupold scope perfect for the 35 Whelen.

I also do appreciate the 30-06 Springfield parent case which allowed these larger bore harder hitting 8mm-06, 338-06 A-Square, and 35 Whelen cartridges to emerge. They are all so easy to hand load and near magnum performance without breaking the bank or shoulder.

yooper77

Offline Dresden

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »
A 22 LR is probably the most under rated cartridge on the planet, at the range it stops penetrating 1/4 inch plywood is where it cannot penetrate a skull of a person, on Utube there are some videos of a couple of guys shooting pork butts at long ranges with a 22lr, as I recall they are doing 300 yard shots.
On a windy day most people would not even hear the report.

Caution should be used with a 22, most folks do not know how lethal it can be on thin skinned light bodied animals, Deer and people being the largest and heaviest, down to rodents as the smallest.

Never think "It's just a 22"

Dresden

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
The "lowly" 22 caliber is mightier than the World's Largest Grizzly Bear from 1953...

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner/misc/Grizley1.html

Offline Dresden

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »
Interesting link, thanks.  Personally I was amused at all the people shooting a large Brown Bear with a 270.

Personally I think any caliber under 32 is what I call a mouse gun. I own two guns suitable for large Bear,

a 416 Ruger Alaskan, a 416 CZ550, anything else is a crap shoot. 

“If you drive a high-quality, [.416] 400-grain bullet at 2350 fps, it is very deadly. We do not need to argue about the critter involved. It stops charging bull elephants, knocks the lights out of lions, swats bears and big bull elk and can do a remarkably fine job on deer-sized game. Is one case better than the other? Ballistically no, but practically, yes - the Remington. Remington’s .416 is probably the most practical and perhaps the best medium-heavy rifle made. In the end, you cannot go wrong, unless you get confused and buy a 45 caliber rifle instead.” - Ross Seyfried

Also look here: [size=78%]http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/blog/?cat=13[/size]

I am not saying small bore rifles are bad or not effective, I just have no use for one personally.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:10 AM »
I bought a used Ruger 77 at Gander Mt., it was rebarreled with a stainless barrel in 35 Whelen and topped with a
Luepold 1.75-6 power scope. It was more than reasonable on the price, I figured the guy sold it because it wouldn't shoot. I tightened the scope screws, all were loose.

I used Federal 200 grain Fusion ammo, a very good ammo in my opinion.

Her are the results of the initial sight in.
show off ! no kidding , great shooting and good deal. Rugers are some of the best deals out there .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dresden

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »
Thanks, I built up a 35 Whelen last year, Adams and Bennet barrel, plastic stock to fit, K98k Steyer action, Timney trigger. Lyman target rear peep sight, hooded bead front, it shoots like the Ruger does.