Author Topic: Buffalo Classic-help with how to replace extractor with ejector.  (Read 696 times)

Offline sthelensjim

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm sure this has been discussed before, however I am new to this site so bare with me. I just bought a Buffalo Classic in 45-70. I use it in cowboy competitions so speed is of the essence. I want to find info on how to replace my extractors with the old style ejector setup. Does anybody know where I might find specific details on how this would be accomplished? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic-help with how to replace extractor with ejector.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
Welcome! See the factory conversion in the FAQs sticky, it's not just a matter of replacing parts, the underlug has to be machined to accept the parts first.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »
It might be easier to run an add in "Want To Trade".  Some of us prefer extractors.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Norminator

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
Mine was the other way around. My 45/70 ejected and I wanted to get the brass in hand for reloading.
My bull barrelled .223 however had an extractor. As I was not concerned with saving .223 brass I just swapped them out.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
Norminator:  was the swap out just a matter of swapping the parts, to was machining involved, like Quick did on one of his?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »
A factory extractor won't function in an ejector underlug with machining the underlug for the extractor cam, it's not just a matter of swapping parts, you can convert an ejector to not eject tho just be removing a little material as shown in the FAQs, I've done more than a dozen of both ejector to the factory style extractor conversions and conversions from factory extractor to an ejector, both require machining the underlug and drilling for the roll pins to make the conversion.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sthelensjim

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
Thanks for all the input! I think I will take it to my gunsmith and let him deal with it. Thanks again

Offline Norminator

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »
 ???  Hope I havn't misled anyone. I have to go back and read the FAQ myself cause I don't remember doing anything too involved, but it is sometimes pretty amazing how bad my memory is getting.
Couple weeks ago I was thinking it would be nice to have a mould around 300-350 for my 45-70, in addition to the 405 grn I usually use. Turned out I already had one, new in the box, that I had forgot I had purchased already.