Author Topic: 32-20 Loads???  (Read 1189 times)

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
32-20 Loads???
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
Anyone want to suggest a few loads for a 32-20?  I want to use heavy for caliber bullets (150 gr. Hornady SP's) for feral hogs and take head shots.  Less possibility of having to track down a wounded hog.  Gerald
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Re: 32-20 Loads???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
CW may be along with more, my loads are with LEAD 155gr loads, but they are not high pressure loads, that is with 4.5gr unique. That turns out approx 1000 fps from a 10" barrel. This may not be the best caliber to try this with. Hogs have a dished skull that is pretty tough, you need to hit them very square in order to prevent a ricochet from the front, or right behind the ear. You might want to consider a 123 gr fmj for that.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
I will be using a rifle with a 22"+ barrel (don't know how long yet as it isn't finished)  Larry is building it for me.  I expect a lot higher velocity than the 1000 fps though and am aware of how tough these critters are.  I have some 115 lead FN 18 BHN but will load mostly jacketed. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
Good morning Padre,

Larry built mine on a .303 Brit barrel.  I'm sure he's doing the same with yours.  It shoots both .311 -.312 .303s and .310 7.62x39s well.  The heaviest load I've tried is the 123 gr. .310 Speer over H110 for 1950 fps.

I hope you're gonna be shooting from a stout tree ;)

Here are two articles by Paco and Jim Taylor with some good load information:

Pete

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

http://www.gunweek.com/2000/feature0801.html

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »
Good morning Pete,
Never shot from a tree.  I've killed a few practicing but haven't climbed one in at least 60 years.  Larry is using a 303 barrel but this stub will be a little different.  We started with a Winchester Mod. 370 410 shotgun.  I love the classic lines of the old Winnie SS shotguns so thought I'd have something a little different.  It's a break action like a handi so I'm hoping it will be fairly strong.  ::)   ;D   Can't wait to get it in my hand and shoot it.....might have to tie it to a tree to fire the first shot though.  We'll soon see!  Gerald

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »
You might want to take a look at the info on the .310 Martini Cadet loadings and history; in many ways ballistically it is a similar cartridge.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:15 AM »
Thx Crank,  I'll try that. 

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »

Contact Larry [Trotter] as well as Petemi.  Both might offer words (or encouragement!).

But I'm curious ...... Does the .32-20 really have enough poop to put down armoured hogs!!??
(armoured - their thick cartilege sholder blade?)

Why not instead shoot at least a .30-30? 
(with powerful-enough popular ammo in a more-than-adequate hog-round?)

Plus .30-30 barrels are available from the factory, and shoot POPULAR ammo;
where a .32-20 would be a custom job if you could find one or someone to make one!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
Check you PM brother.  ;) ;) ;)

Load the 32-20 to some of the loads I sent you... 40K loads. Use a good bullet, put that bullet where it should go and you will have no problems with any hog to good lord built!  ;) ;D

I shot a deer last year with my Trotter special 32-20.

I used a Hornady (or Midway) 123g SP bullet made for the 7.62x39 in .310 diameter. My bullet impacted about 2'' down the nose between the eyes and it exited the back of the neck. Taking out the spine and everything inbetween. ;) Exit diameter is about a dime. So at my estimated 2000fps I did not get much expansion. At least It did not appear too much but its one deer and no bullet recovered. Needless to say, the deer dropped in the spot. I dont like this shot and have said so many times. But the deer was VERY close and I have shot this rifle ALLOT at all ranges to 100. So I was confident in the shot.

I have have some 115cast slugs. But they are not hard cast and before I try them on game I will need to do some testing. But I have allot of them and they do shoot very good too.

I have been shooting heavy loads in my Marlin CL for many years. Great little cartridage.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Couger

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
Quote from: cwlongshot
I have have some 115cast slugs. But they are not hard cast and before I try them on game I will need to do some testing. But I have allot of them and they do shoot very good too.

Do you cast those yourself?  If so water-quench them!

If not, if they're not bought pre-lubed,
could you heat them in the oven, then water-quench them?

Offline Couger

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
I shot a deer last year with my Trotter special 32-20.

I used a Hornady (or Midway) 123g SP bullet made for the 7.62x39 in .310 diameter.

What about bullets from Speer?  or Sierra?

Nice little eater-buck. 
Was it tasty N tender?  ;D   (whitetail is much more-better than mule deer!)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »

Do you cast those yourself?  If so water-quench them!

If not, if they're not bought pre-lubed,
could you heat them in the oven, then water-quench them?

I bought them MOLLY lubed for my wife when we where Cowboy action shooting... I forget the maker, but they are pretty soft. HELL on squirrels!! ;)

He was 1 1/2 old and 115#. Yup they are ALL GOOD EATERS! ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
Better tasting than Muley's?, probably 'cause our Whitetailed Deer is mostly corn fed here  ;D .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
Quote from: gcrank1
Better tasting than Muley's?, probably 'cause our Whitetailed Deer is mostly corn fed here  ;D

I believe it.  Ummm ummm good!  :)

I've taken ONE whitetail, alfalfa-fed but it was tasty and mild.

Mule deer eat a lot of browse, twigs and other strong woody things.  :o

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »
Now that you mention it Blake, they surely do taste a little different!! Depending on what they eat and age/sex/ time of year.

I used to hunt a farm with expansive corn fields and the venison surely tasted different!! Some years back I got some crop damage permits and shot deer in June and July. OMG did they taste different!!!  We all know that that big ol bruiser we chase is Never the best eating!

I have had mule deer and never found it different them woods Whitetails. Even anti lope was indistinguishable in pepper steak. Alone sure it was different. My top favorite is Bison!! A friend shot one and I was lucke enough to be around when his freezer failed. I took quite a bit as my big freezer was almost empty while he got a replacement and my reward was about 30# of the sweet meat! Moose is second, I find it close to a good cow steak. Only had elk a couple times. What I do not like at all is the sheep/lamb/goats. Lamb is passable is properly cooked. My wife loves lamb and I have cooked chops for her many times. Only a few did I find enjoyable.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
And for those who havent tried it, Groundhog (by any name) is an eater of sweet & tender veggie stuff, so a young 'chuck makes for way better eating that squirrel, and there is lots more meat on one. Slow pot cooked with onion, carrots and celery is purty nice  ;D .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »
And for those who havent tried it, Groundhog (by any name) is an eater of sweet & tender veggie stuff, so a young 'chuck makes for way better eating that squirrel, and there is lots more meat on one. Slow pot cooked with onion, carrots and celery is purty nice  ;D .

I agree. BUT only try young ones!! Them old buggers are like Tring to eat an old tire just not quite as tender. ::)

One of the best stews I ever ate was raccoon!!!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »
Oh boy, gotta comment on the little "woodies". used to hunt them on farms in the LaPorte,In. area. My IVFA chief introduced me to six or seven farmers (read corn and Soybean) and I have taken plenty. I always pressure cooked them after first parboiling them (15lbs for about 45min) then crocked the meat off of the bones with spices (your taste buds) celery, potatoes, shrooms, Onions(lots :) ) and about a half cup of wine (your flavor). Crock for about 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs (burns off all the alcohol, I'm a recovering alchy) and add some home made garlic bread. YUUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!! Sorry, don't mean to slobber ;D . God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy  <aka Godfrey>
P.S. for the old large ones pressure cook for about 1 1/2 hours. tender. plus by then you can mush up the bones and have the marrow and your calcium, Still yuuuummmmyy. ;)

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »

up here, we have an overabundance of gophers, which are the Richardson Ground Squirrel.

open season on them

the Metis tell me the Elders thought of them as a delicacy, and easy to get.

I'm working on my hunting buddy to try them with me.  there are none in the forest where we moose hunt, and the tree squirrels are protected.
so may have to trap some and bring them up, and release them in my hunting area!  hehehe...

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »
But I'll bet it takes a passel of 'em to make for a backstrap supper!

Gerald, my apologies for aiding in turning your inquiry into our version of 'The Cooking Channel' , but we are a  good bunch of Renaissance Men prone to the better things of life, are we not?

My 32-20 experience has been with cast bullets, so velo has been limited to that suitable, and in line with the original design and purpose of the cartridge; ie, 1250ish fps or so with 100-115ish grain bullets. At that it has been, to me, a very good small game to mid-size varmint load out to 50-60yds. with quite good accuracy. I know my targets of opportunity start looking awfully small out there and the traj. is pretty loopy beyond. Good hits then depend so much upon proper range estimation. The fact is that the stubby little bullets we use in the 32-20 are poor in BC and not the long range type. The reason I suggested the little known 310 Martini Cadet is that it used a much better BC bullet and weight to longer range and effect. A good BC bullet shape in a similar weight, if the twist will support it, would be a dandy, though you cant likely depend on enough velo for reliable expansion.
FWIW, the British had a good handle on many of the smaller calibers for field and sport. They had to adopt to the increasing population density and fewer opportunities for larger game much sooner than we; evidence the marvelous Rook & Rabbit rifles and the 'bigger than 22LR' and 'smaller than 44cal.' cartridges developed for them.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special