Author Topic: Handi Compatition  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Handi Compatition
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
Got a look at the Rossi Wizard yesterday.  IT HAS EJECTORS.  I will not buy a new Handi, I refuse to deal with those extractors.  I want that empty gone when I open the action.  The last two Handi's I have bought I bought off the secondary market, to get ejectors.  A 30-06 Ultra Comp and a Standard Handi in 25-06.  I am going to give the Rossi Wizard to my son for his upcoming birthday.  A 30-06 with a 20ga barrel.

Yes I'm still a Handi Holic, I have nine Handi's, all with ejectors.  But I will go elsewhere, before I buy what I consider a defective hunting rifle.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
Re: Handi Compatition
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
I, on the other hand prefer extractor's... I hate hunting for brass, and popping them under other shooter's feet at the range... I don't worry about fast follow-up shots... when I squeeze the trigger it's because I know it's dead... or I wouldn't squeeze the trigger. JM.02
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
How are you gonna use all those Handi's where the Arab lives?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
Not all Wizards have ejectors, I have two barrels, a 30-06 ejector and a 7.62x39 extractor. And so much for their switch barrel capability, the 7.62x39 barrel won't come close to fitting the same frame the 30-06 barrel fits!  ::) See the Handi-Wizard link in the FAQs for more info.

Tim

Good luck with it Rog....

http://www.shootersforum.com/single-shot-rifles/71620-rossi-wizard-anyone-handled-shot-one.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
then there's the ....

... in 45-70 and other fun calibers, with 22" full folding barrel/stock or 26".
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
It is a bold move to make a new single shot these days (oops, I see it was introduced in 2011; where are they?). But, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all; why cant hardly anybody execute a proper schnable these days? It aint like there arent good examples extant.
Oh well, a file, some sandpaper and time......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
I wouldn't put to much thought into getting one of these.  A google search tuned up no retailers in the US.  Track of the Wolf has their muzzle loaders and they start around $500...

Tony

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
IMO the only break action single shots in the handi price range that I would consider is the cva scout. They look  and feel nice. Made in USA not Brazil. I just cant bring myself to buy one...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »
CVA Scouts were made in Spain last I knew, CVAs haven't been made in the US for 30yrs or so.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »
I stand corrected, knew there was something keeping me from buying them.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
then there's the ....

This looks an aweful lot like my 1940's classic Beretta .410!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
I wouldn't give a nickle for all the ejectors ever made....even less for anything imported.  To each his own.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
Except your has 2 triggers, CW !
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
Except your has 2 triggers, CW !

LOL one trigger, one barrel release. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
Ahhhh, come on Pete.......a nickle!, for ALL the ejector models; I'll double that bid to a dime. Everybody just PM me for my ship to  ::) .
I can take 'em either way, but I admit I dont like to chase brass. With a bolt gun I used to open the bolt and catch 'em (well, many) 'on the fly', the Handi just is too fast for me. Tip it 'just so' and open, the brass is in hand. Unless I recently got too used to the extractor model......
I am not enamored of the crosspin that activates the extractor, it will peen, and the frame recess it contacts someday to malfunction, especially if one has a load that results in 'sticky extraction' and requires a firm bump to go.
Both designs have something to be potential issues, though usually the ejector, if factory good or tuned up a bit if it needs it,  I think may last longer.
I would hate to be in a difficult situation and have stuck brass with no ejection OR an extractor that had its last successful extract the shot before. The 'nick' to pry one out of chamber in the field is not a bad idea.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
I can take 'em either way, but I admit I dont like to chase brass. With a bolt gun I used to open the bolt and catch 'em (well, many) 'on the fly', the Handi just is too fast for me. Tip it 'just so' and open, the brass is in hand. Unless I recently got too used to the extractor model......
My son uses an open top belt mounted ammo pouch... when he shoots his K-Hornet or .30/30 ejectors, he tips the gun and aims at the open pouch... he never misses on opening the action, and doesn't have to bend or chase brass... I tried the same, but I am "nine thumbs and a pinky" and miss more often than not.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »

Its ALWAYS enjoyable to read your Handi / hunting-Alaska posts, Sourdough.  :)

funny the topic about preferring extractors or ejectors.

If I wasn't always shagging brass once I pull the trigger, an ejector would be the feature I'd insist on too.  But may barrels actually have both!  I need to shoot them more to better *note* which ones are which, and need changing8)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
When i open the action, if I want the brass, (at the range) I simply place my left hand behind the scope and catch it.  The new round is in my left hand, held with my index finger and thumb.  I drop the new round in and close the action.  Once reloaded if another shot is not needed the empty is dropped in a pocket or shoved into the sleeve on the stock.  There is no need to chase empties.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »
Give me an ejector anytime.
I have never had a stuck case on a Handi in my life.
It may happen one day but I still would prefer ejectors.
Extractors with gloves on is kind of akward at best and not very fast.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
I'm not the expert, and hope never to need the fast reload, but ejectors have always been my preference.  I'll polish chambers, and even though I haven't done it the breech notch seems like a good idea.  The 45 LC extractor barrel is the only one I have and it's a noticeable 'inconvenience' trying to grab the back end of the case, at least to me.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
I also like ejectors. I here people talking about losing brass. If I factor in the cost of out of state hunting liscense, club dues,maintanence of hunting lease food plots and roads,gasolene for the 150 mile roundtrip losing a piece of brass is my last worry.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
So far I can tip my .45-70 up and the case falls out after extraction.  I used to forget to cover the chamber with my hand when target shooting and I'd have to chase .44 mag cases.  It's not as big of a deal with .223 since they're so common and if I loose one I'm not going to be POed about it...

Tony

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
I totally understand and agree with Rogers stand on ejectors. For me in that situation I would use a different gun. But that's what makes the world to round. Personally, I'm a reloader and like extractors. I have never had issue with getting the bullet out for a second shot. But I'm rarely bundled for zero weather temps or hunting things that will EAT me either.  ::) Gloves are also rarely needed so its not a consern.

I do like ejectors on my shotguns and Rimfires especially!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 12:03:40 AM »
rimfires  and shotguns - ejectors, please!

centerfires - extractors only: i reload and have enough trouble chasing down 45acp brass.

to each their own and it's really all good.
NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 01:48:55 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if they could figure out a way to let you select?  Extract for the range, eject for the field?

IMHO I think whatever gun you're going to shoot, autoloader, pump, lever, bolt or single shot, you have the same problem.  Its all about adapting to the situation.  You buy a rifle to fill a particular job. Sourdough's happens to demand positive ejection so he adapted his technique to save brass. 

Fact is it is a whole lot easier to put your hand over the breech area and catch or stop a round from a break action gun than any other type of action.  You don't have to do the "wraparound" with offside hand technique when working the action with the other hand, or lay the gun on its side, or switch hands and work the action. 

Extractors on the other hand seem custom made for target shooting in this respect. 

When I am hunting, the last thing I am worried about is the empty case.  Besides, with my Handi, it would only be one lost because the first shot does the job!!;D

BW

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:02 AM »
All my rifle barrels are extractors.  I don't want that "CLACK" when I'm hunting.  I've even ground the step off of my only ejector barrel (.44) to make it an extractor.  My shotguns, However, are all ejectors.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
If y'all would stop missing your critters you wouldn't need an ejector for fast followup shot.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline vin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »
rimfires  and shotguns - ejectors, please!

centerfires - extractors only: i reload and have enough trouble chasing down 45acp brass.

to each their own and it's really all good.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, too. Shotguns that can be reloaded quick to drop second bird/squirrel are nice, and an ejector facilitates fast reloads in a single, if you practice it. An extractor slows you down.  I can manage 3 shots in 8-9 seconds with my 20Ga single, and I am a slowpoke. There are some people who can do it in under 5 seconds. It gets more impressive when you consider an HD scenario with buckshot. Shoot-open-load-close-aim-shoot, rinse, lather, repeat. Has the potential to put a lot of lead downrange pretty fast..
For a rifle though, an ejector is fine. If I miss a deer on the first shot, odds are I am not going to hit it on a second shot. I know my limits, and putting a bullet in the vitals of an animal moving 30 mph is way beyond them

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »
If y'all would stop missing your critters you wouldn't need an ejector for fast followup shot.

The black tail deer around here are so hard to hunt, I can't remember the last time I had one in my sites.

I had not planned to hunt with my .45-70 but if I do bother deer hunting this year, I just might use it.  It's wickedly accurate and I can shoot it well and quickly off hand.

Tony

Offline wganz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
then there's the ....

Closest that I've come to finding one is an ad that Cheaper Than Dirt had but they said that they hadn't ordered any yet. There is an importer of the INVESTARM's shotguns, but they don't handle that model.
 :(