Author Topic: mild pitting  (Read 640 times)

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
mild pitting
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
Hi guys,
Been looking for a 20ga NEF/H&R  for a while now.   (I have a 12ga.) and wanted something a bit tamer for the wife but something that would still pack a punch with either buckshot or a slug.   A 20ga seemed to me  to fit the bill.   I found a NEF today that had a NL serial number.   (I'll have to look that up and see the date of manufacture.)   It has a 25 1/2 inch bbl. and is chambered for 3'' shells.   The choke is Modified.

The gun seems very nice and tight, but is showing some "browning" of the bbl., and has a very light pitting on the receiver.  Coincidentally, the receiver looks to possibly be case-hardened.   Or perhaps the receiver bluing is just light and wavey.

My question is: What should I use on that pitting?   I'm thinking 0000 steel wool, or possibly some Flitz paste that I have.   Tell me what you think.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: mild pitting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:46 AM »
0000 will get it but use plenty of oil to try and save the bluing if there is any left.  I have also heard of using the copper scouring pads (Chore Boy??) As copper is softer than the steel.  If you can find some stuff named Blue Wonder, it works pretty good.  You heat the metal up (hairdryer) and apply the paste and rub off with steel wool or the like for really bad rust, or scrub with a bristle brush or rag for less rust.

BW

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »
Thanks Ol BW, That copper "Chore Boy" sounds like a good idea.   I had to smile when I saw that.    I haven't thought of that name in decades.   My mother called all scrubbers "Chore Boys".  Never seen Blue Wonder, what will keep my eye peeled for some.

Thanks again.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:51:30 AM »
You can find it here:

Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner Blue Wonder Gun Care Products - Cleaner, Bluing and Protection http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunCleaner.html

BW

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the link, this stuff looks really good, and I'm definitely  going to give it a try.    There was a link to google map on that page that showed me my nearest dealer, so I won't have any trouble picking up some.

Thanks again!