Author Topic: Extractor Improvement idea?  (Read 629 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Extractor Improvement idea?
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
This is probably dumb post of the day.  I was looking at the FAQ extractor improvement and have a question for you guys that know what you're doing.  I have a dismal track record when I try to play gunsmith.  From what I understand reading the extractor improvement thread basically the shim is to take up the dead space between the extractor and the cam.  What if the dead space is expanded by removing metal from the cam and the extractor and filled with a cut down stiff spring epoxied to the extractor?  The idea being to pop the case out not eject it.  Does this even work in theory?

I'm thinking for hunting situations not long sessions at the bench where soot will be a factor.  For this to work I think the chamber and brass would need to be polished and the forearm pressure would have to let the barrel fall when released.

Like I said probably dumb post of the day.  If I could find a smith to convert my hunting extractors to ejectors I'd be at his shop tomorrow. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Extractor Improvement idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
The modified extractor I do using an ejector claw with an extractor cam works like that if the case sticks, it uses a small coil spring between the modified ejector claw and cam, if the case sticks in the chamber, it ejects when the spring is completely compressed by the extractor cam.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
The modified extractor I do using an ejector claw with an extractor cam works like that if the case sticks, it uses a small coil spring between the modified ejector claw and cam, if the case sticks in the chamber, it ejects when the spring is completely compressed by the extractor cam.

Have you ever considered drawing that up and sending it to the powers at be at H&R?

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
Did that several years ago, also sent them pics of the old style low profile hammer, they weren't interested  even tho their marketing manager at the time wanted to make improvements.  :(

Tim

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

Tim

Is this in the FAQ?

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »
Too bad about them ignoring you. 

I've been wanting to do something with a lighter hammer for awhile now.  I bought a couple to modify but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

Tim

Is this in the FAQ?

Yes!  ;D