Author Topic: Letter to NEF  (Read 3593 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Letter to NEF
« on: February 19, 2004, 09:28:11 PM »
I wrote this to Customer Service at NEF. I'd like to see some more choices for bullet weight. If you feel the same way please let them know.

hr1871@hr1871.com

Customer Service,

"I was wondering if you have any plans in the future to offer a .223 Rem
bull barrel with a faster rate of twist in the 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 range?

This would be a GREAT addition to the nice 223 barrels you already
have. This would allow for longer heavier match grade bullets in the
60-75gr range to stabilize and I believe make the NEF/H&R a competitor in
the High Power category.

Please consider this option. The long throats you make would be the
ultimate setup for these longer bullets. These rifles can be made VERY
accurate with the right loads and this would really set them apart from the
Rossi and others creeping up on you."

This was their reply today.  "Sorry no plans at this time but we will pass the info along"
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Letter to NEF
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 02:51:28 AM »
handirifle, as I wrote over on "the other side", I think your letter and idea is great. A barrel that would stabilize a heavier bullet for those who like to hunt something larger than coyotes with thier .223's or even for those that like to shoot longer distances while still maintaining some "ooomph" when the bullet hits. I would like another .223 barrel, a  1 in 9 would be nice to go along with my 1 in 12. I am unsure what a 1 in 8 would do, it could even be better I guess....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Letter to NEF
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:37:13 AM »
I posted this on the original site too.Thought I would cut & paste it here as well.

Handirifle:

I would like to hear thier response...if you ever get one from them.I don't think they would keep the throat the same though...they would probably make it longer so you can't seat the bullets out far enough to come in contact with the lands.....it would be nice for them to make other choices available and to possably do a better heat treatment to the receivers to make them stronger to be able to cope with the pressures.Then they would have the lions share of the market locked up......

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Letter to NEF
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:55:35 AM »
Has anyone tried having one of these bored out and a liner put in?  To my way of thinking you should be able to get the throat and the rate of twist to exactly what you want.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Letter to NEF
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 07:02:40 AM »
winter hawk
Actually, there is a smith in MO.  that does just that.  He is an expert on singleshots, mostly Sharps type but has done a good deal of work on the H&R's too.

Lee Shaver at www.egunsmith.com

He has done work for me before and it is first rate.  Never thought of him for this one.  If NEF never offers an option that may be the only way to go.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!