Author Topic: 40 cal vs 10mm (Revised)  (Read 821 times)

Offline jrfrmn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
40 cal vs 10mm (Revised)
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »

Can someone tell me what is the safest hottest powder charge and heaviest gr bullet that can be loaded for the 40 cal compared to the 10mm?
Thanks.

Offline Savage

Re: 40 cal vs 10mm (Revised)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »
Check reloading manuals. Compare the load data from a reliable source and see for yourself. Stay away from data obtained from unknown sources without credentials.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
With the 10mm being a longer case, that means more powder under the bullet. Same as a 38 compared to a .357. Same bullet, higher velocity's. Nobody can really tell you what might be the highest powder charge/bullet weight combo, as what your gun likes, might be different than than the next guy's.   gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
another recomendation to get a loading manual
blue lives matter

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:22:32 AM »
Quote from: jrfrmn
Does anybody know anything about reloading?
Can someone tell me what is the hottest powder charge and heaviest gr bullet that can be loaded for the 40 cal compared to the 10mm?
Thanks.

Do  YOU  know  how  to  read!!??

Look  it  up  yourself!

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:16 AM »
 I was looking through some data the other day, while the 10mm is more potent than the 40, it doesn't appear head & shoulders above it. I just feel one could pick their bullets & loads carefully for the 40 & do just fine. That would be for the few times you feel the need for max performance.

I had seen a 10mm for sale & thought about going that direction. Someone else snagged it up anyway.
NRA, Veteran

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
Can someone tell me what is the hottest powder charge and heaviest gr bullet that can be loaded for the 40 cal compared to the 10mm?
Thanks.

The simple thing to do is look up Winchester , Hodgon or IMR powder you will end up at the same site for reloading . Then you can see 10 mm and 40 cal. loads with those three powders. most likely H110/W296 will be the hot one.
Not knowing your goal it's hard to say , different pistols can handle different loads and different actions work at different levels of power . Lead vs. jacketed could make a difference . Most hand loaders would consider it irresponsible to just throw out a max load not knowing all the facts.

BTW what is the goal if we may ask ?
The 40 BTW was invented when the FBI needed a reduced load for the 10 MM it had started issuing S&W realized they could achieve the same power level in a 9mm sized gun  So if you want a larger bullet it will need to be loaded so it will operate in a 9mm size gun , which might mean the largest with the largest powder charge will be inferior because of limited space for bullet and powder.
If you want 10mm performance get one , it's the safe thing to do. And if your chamber is non supported ( Glock for example) be careful with heavy loads .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
  The highest FPS speeds were with a medium speed handgun powder, H-Universal or Autocomp. The OP can look over the same data on the Hodgdon website. Yes, the 10mm was several 100 fps faster than the 40 s&w with somewhat comparable bullets.

I would check the site & bounce any data off other sources. It's great to see what others are using, but you need to compare suggested charges to a reputable data source.

I will say, the 10mm handles a 200 grn bullet much better than the 40 s&w.

I had to modify some, upon a closer look I don't see win-296/H-110 listed. That powder doesn't seem appropriate anyway, for that round.  No, I never did buy a 10mm I was looking at, which was a Glock 20. I decided to just stick with my 40 s&w guns.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
Quote from: 1sourdough
  I will say, the 10mm handles a 200 grn bullet much better than the 40 s&w.

Sourdough, was your 10mil a Glock?

But regardless, living there in Alaska,

if a 10mm was your sidearm - would you feel safe and confident with it?

What ammo-choice would you want when in the bush?  or on your snow machine?  :)

THANKS!  ;D

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
 My AK bush handgun is my Ruger Redhawk, 4" loaded with 265 grn WFN hardcast over an upper end charge of win-296 powder. That gun, some common sense, & maybe some bear spray would suit me fine. I did see 2, few yr old cubs along the Russian River a while back. They stayed on their side & I our side, as we left the area.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Maybe the guy doesn't reload but is thinking about it.  However, this is what I found:

My Lyman bookd says for the 40 S&W 190 gr JFP bullet with Enforcer powder 11.6 gr compressed load gets 967 fps.

The 10mm with a 200 gr JHP with 9.6 gr of Blue Dot powder gets 1148 fps. 
The 10mm with the same 190 gr JFP bullet as the 40 with 9.9gr of Blue Dot gets 1175 fps.

So based on the max loads the 10mm gets about 200 fps faster than the 40S&W.  Just because it has more case capacity. 

This is from the Lyman Reloading Manuel 49th addition. 

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »
 there are to many variables to even begin to answer that. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
40 cal
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Quote from: jrfrmn
Thanks.

Do  YOU  know  how  to  read!!??

Look  it  up  yourself!
Yes I do!
I was looking for knowledge and experience. [/u]
Do you have any?[/u]

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »
you got the replys your going to get asking for the hotest possible loads. Nobody in there right ;mind would give out that kind of info and have you go and put it in your gun and damage the gun or possibly yourself; Just because a load is safe in my gun doesnt mean its safe in yours. Now if you would have asked what the most accurate load was you probably would have gotten some good advice but if your wanting to push your guns to the max ill side with the ohters.   GET THAT KNOWLEGE FROM A LOADING MANUAL.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 02:11:44 AM »
Besides max is seldom needed . In a handgun bullet placement is most important . In a life or death situation is it better to be able to recover fast for a second or back up shot or believe that a super hot load will somehow find it's mark ?
 In hunting and some situations max may be necessary. But I wonder how we got along before with out them if they are the only answer now ? In hand gunning and shooting in general it seems marketing is doing it's job well. The gun companies have expanded in both directions( more powerful -454, 480 , 500 etc. And lower  17 HRM and such) giving more options. And at one time I wanted the biggest baddest mag I could afford to shoot. But the reality is I could have done everything with less , a 44 mag or 45 Colt .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »
Thanks.

Jrfrmn,
I saw this when you first posted and resisted the urge to reply snidely. "Do anyone know reloading" is kinda a "baited" question. Your post comes off as a trolls post. So I stayed away.

What I will tell you is, I know enough about reloading to tell you there is a reason we have both... If the smaller dosen't meet your needs buy the larger. Pushing the smaller to approximate the larger will be detrimental you your firearms and possibly you.

SOME Improvemnt can be achieved with better supported longer barrels. THEN judisishly loading. BUT again its safer and easier to siimply buy the bigger caliber.

I'm my experience the 40 tops out at 180grns while to 10MM still holds its own loaded to 37.5k with 200+ g bullets. (I like the 200 personally)

Powders, well I don't load the 40 hot and find WW231 and HS6 do what I need. But in the 10MM I love Blue Dot, 800X and new comer Longshot. I have a G20 fit with a 6" barrel making it legal hunting handgun. I load 200g bullets to 1200+ fps from it.

So as i say, I own both calibers, in different guns. As I rule I do not like to post loads. I'll recomend powders and bullets but rarely the actual loading. Back a few years Mr Bill wanted things that way. I for one agree with him on it!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 02:40:05 AM »
Thanks.

I am guessing you are asking about the 40 S&W vs the 10mm Auto, because as you wrote it (40 cal is 10mm)!

All I can give you is my prerecorded response:

Either 40 S&W or the 10mm Auto cartridges, start with the powder manufacturers minimum load data for a given bullet weight and slowly working up until you achieve the best accurate load, but never go past the powder manufacturers maximum load data! Make sure you always look for signs of over pressure and if discovered back off![/size]

Seating depth is very important even if the load is safe, seating a bullet too deep can and will spike pressures to an unsafe level!

yooper77

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »

Jrfrmn,
I saw this when you first posted and resisted the urge to reply snidely. "Do anyone know reloading" is kinda a "baited" question. Your post comes off as a trolls post. So I stayed away.

What I will tell you is, I know enough about reloading to tell you there is a reason we have both... If the smaller dosen't meet your needs buy the larger. Pushing the smaller to approximate the larger will be detrimental you your firearms and possibly you.

SOME Improvemnt can be achieved with better supported longer barrels. THEN judisishly loading. BUT again its safer and easier to siimply buy the bigger caliber.

I'm my experience the 40 tops out at 180grns while to 10MM still holds its own loaded to 37.5k with 200+ g bullets. (I like the 200 personally)

Powders, well I don't load the 40 hot and find WW231 and HS6 do what I need. But in the 10MM I love Blue Dot, 800X and new comer Longshot. I have a G20 fit with a 6" barrel making it legal hunting handgun. I load 200g bullets to 1200+ fps from it.

So as i say, I own both calibers, in different guns. As I rule I do not like to post loads. I'll recomend powders and bullets but rarely the actual loading. Back a few years Mr Bill wanted things that way. I for one agree with him on it!

I re-worded this after about a week with no response. I got a little impatient. I didn't mean to sound like a troll, I was only looking for someone that had the experience of loading heavier loads so I could get an idea if it was worth even doing it. I have loaded years ago with my brother, but only with rifles.
Thank's.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:53 AM »
In most cases if it's worth doing one of the larger ammo makes  like Remington , Winchester etc. are making it. If there is a nitch for it then some of the  makers like Bufflo or such are producing. So do a serch and see .