Author Topic: Chamber Throating  (Read 342 times)

Offline hobbyist0783

• Trade Count: (0)
Chamber Throating
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:56:50 AM »
Back in '99 I got a HandiRifle in .357 Mag because I was reloading for handgun anyway and it would be nice to see if the Handi would make a fun plinker on the 50yd range. Soon learned my LSWC reloads were keyholing and wondered why ? Tried different recipes keeping the vel below 1500 and still they were keyholing. Then I read something about chamber throating and "leade" in the early 2000's and asked my gunsmith and he recommended he would cut an easier leade in the chamber for lead bullets. An improvement, yes, at least the SWC's weren't keyholing anymore, but accuracy was still not up to par vs jacketed loads. Bought some  truncated cone cast bullets as an experiment and THAT did the trick !  Rifle likes 'em !
Just sharing info what worked if any of you experience the disappointments I did with LSWC reloads. Can't say I used truncated cones before the chamber was recut, I didn't, but the combo is a good one now. Any of you experience same, and/or how many of you get your chambers recut specifically for lead bullets ? Just an academic question on this forum to fellow fans of the Handi "in-the-know." Cheers, - Vince

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Chamber Throating
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:58 AM »
Undersize cast bullets will cause keyholes too, been there, done it with the 38-55. Most here just ream their 357 Mag Handis to Maxi with the GBO reamer that cuts a 6º leade into the lands, the throat is already plenty deep as you can see from chamber casts.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,125780.msg1098446320.html#msg1098446320

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain