Author Topic: Phlebotomy  (Read 2054 times)

Offline dread

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« on: February 20, 2004, 06:18:40 AM »
I had a Phlebotomy done by a Phlebotomist today. Good thing it didn't take long. I usually get weak and almost faint!  :)

Offline Gunjunkie

Phlebotomy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:35:42 PM »
And did it help????    OH Phlebotomy.. Sorry thought you meant Labotomy..  :)
Gunjunkie

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Phlebotomy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:20:06 PM »
Is that when fleas bite you on the butt. FLEABOTTOMLY. :-D  :)  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Phlebotomy
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:30:25 PM »
My brother is a medical technician and Phlebotomist. He works in a mobil situation. His work often takes him to nursing homes, where he draws blood from the aged. He has not mentioned many cases where the
old timers have fainted!

Perhaps your Phlebotomist is drawing too much blood! If more than a couple pints are drawn...that may be a bit much!!!...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 06:59:53 PM »
Quote from: Gunjunkie
:D
Hi GJ, a Lebotomy might help? I told my doctor I was going to a Mortician and have an Autopsy done and have the results sent to him so he could diagnose my problem and maybe find a cure. The doctor didn't think much of the idea tho.  :-D

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 07:16:24 PM »
Quote from: ironglow
My brother is a medical technician and Phlebotomist. He works in a mobil situation. His work often takes him to nursing homes, where he draws blood from the aged. He has not mentioned many cases where the
old timers have fainted!

Perhaps your Phlebotomist is drawing too much blood! If more than a couple pints are drawn...that may be a bit much!!!...LOL

The gal didn't draw too much blood. I just can't stand the needle and poking my arm. Ouch!  :(  Maybe the old timers are over medicated and don't know what's going on? Or maybe your brother is and expert at taking blood. I usually get some young kid that can't find the vein. Then when I start to faint, the expert takes over but by then it's too late. The upside of fainting is I get a large glass of good orange juice and lots of attention. :-D

Offline dodgecity

Phlebotomy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 07:26:08 PM »
Phlebotomy, shots, etc. don't bother me much, but, the one thing I detest is the stab wound in the finger before I donate blood. I mean, really, it's 2004. Shouldn't medical science by now have come up with a better way of checking the iron in your blood than stabbing one of the most nerve centered areas with a semi-sharp wedge?

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 07:34:41 PM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
:)
I told my doctor I was going to a veterinarian. I'll bark a few times and he can tell me what's wrong.  :)  My doctor didn't think that was funny. Wonder why? :-D

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 08:02:53 PM »
Quote from: dodgecity
Phlebotomy, shots, etc. don't bother me much, but, the one thing I detest is the stab wound in the finger before I donate blood. I mean, really, it's 2004. Shouldn't medical science by now have come up with a better way of checking the iron in your blood than stabbing one of the most nerve centered areas with a semi-sharp wedge?
:eek: There is a devise that can take a sample of blood anywhere, say like a forearm instead of the tip of the finger. The ad on tv shows the guy using it. Must cost a fortune? I think that's a "stoneage" way to check blood. The nurse has some trouble taking blood from my fingers as I play the guitar and the fingers are caloused.  8) I was surprised that anyone knew what a Phlebotomist was. I didn't know what it was until today when I saw the label pin on the nurse.  :)

Offline dodgecity

Phlebotomy
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »
Dread,  the person with the badge on was probably not a nurse. Nurses train from 2 to 4 years and have a college level degree. Although they certainly have the skill to take a blood sample, they are not usually the one to do so. A phlebotomist is a high school grad, or, GED off the street. They attend a short course on phlemotomy, and, that's it. They have no additional medical training or knowledge. One of the confusing things in modern medical facilities is that everyone wears "scrubs". Time was when you could immediately recognize a nurse, or doctor by their dress/uniform. Now, everyone dresses alike. Heck, for all you know the janitor, dressed in scrubs, was taking your blood sample.

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 09:09:19 PM »
I used to give blood a lot, needles never bother me.  Except one.

The shot we got in the a$$ before we went to Saudi in '90 was the mother of all needles.  Thick as a pencil, they stuck it in so far you could feel it hit your kneecap. :eek:
I still don't know what it was they gave us, they wouldn't tell us.
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline dodgecity

Phlebotomy
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 09:23:09 PM »
Squirrelsaurus, I don't mean to make light of your experience, but, when I read your post, well, I'm wiping beer off my computer screen. I damn near choked on it. I'll be laughing everytime I think of it over the next few days. When I was in, the only way they could corral us for the ongoing shot routine was to set up the corpsmen at the end of the pay line. No one wanted the shots, but, hey, everyone wanted to get paid.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
Phlebotomy
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 02:11:01 AM »
Quote from: Nightrain52

:-D  :)  :-D  :toast:  :yeah:
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Phlebotomy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 04:28:06 AM »
I did phlebotomy for a few years after I got out of the military. It got me through school. We had one gal who had a rather large rack, and wore low cut scrub tops. I asked her about it one day. She said: "Honey, it takes their mind off the needle stick" :eek:  :shock:  :eek:  :shock:

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 05:06:51 AM »
Dread,  the person with the badge on was probably not a nurse. Nurses train from 2 to 4 years and have a college level degree. Although they certainly have the skill to take a blood sample, they are not usually the one to do so. A phlebotomist is a high school grad, or, GED off the street. They attend a short course on phlemotomy, and, that's it. They have no additional medical training or knowledge. One of the confusing things in modern medical facilities is that everyone wears "scrubs". Time was when you could immediately recognize a nurse, or doctor by their dress/uniform. Now, everyone dresses alike. Heck, for all you know the janitor, dressed in scrubs, was taking your blood sample.
:eek:  I didn't know that???!!! Maybe she was a little too well educated to apply for a  job at an H.M.O.?  :eek: The gal was really nice looking and had a great personality. But she was wearing a uniform. Not displaying anything like SR is talking about. Big Philly, did you wear a uniform? Just wondered. The last guy/kid that tried to stab me to death with a honkin' big needle made me sick and they tossed me on a bed and fed me orange juice. If he would have been there this last time I'd have run away for sure.  :bye:  :-D

Offline Gunjunkie

Phlebotomy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 05:30:15 AM »
Quote from: dread
:D
Hi GJ, a Lebotomy might help? I told my doctor I was going to a Mortician and have an Autopsy done and have the results sent to him so he could diagnose my problem and maybe find a cure. The doctor didn't think much of the idea tho.  :-D

ROFLMAO. Yep sometimes they have no sense of humor...  :-D  :-D
Gunjunkie

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Phlebotomy
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 03:57:20 PM »
Dodge;
  Just a small correction; that lack of education may aply to some, but not all! My brother spent years after his college training for and as an X-ray technician & Radiologist. Although he is not a "Dr.", he has often read the X-rays for and prescribed the treatment of fractures for "Drs.".
  He has worked as a nurse etc. and I trust his diagnoses, quite often, more than some Drs. I know.
   His duties now are more closely analogous to those of "Physician's asst.".
  Not only that, he also gets a lot of deer with, shotgun, blackpowder and bow...not all at the same time however....!.. LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
Phlebotomy
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 06:10:49 PM »

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"    me/04
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
????????
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 12:16:20 AM »
Dread,  the person with the badge on was probably not a nurse. Nurses train from 2 to 4 years and have a college level degree. Although they certainly have the skill to take a blood sample, they are not usually the one to do so."

nurses usually don't! they have other jobs to do..............
better to have a experinced phleb like myself, that does it daily, 20-30 times, then even a dr, who hardley EVER does one! i use a butterfly on myself when i want a sample. done hundreds of people, but i have no "degree".
2 types that are hard=overweight, and amish with arms of steel and layers of fat covering the veins!
no offense taken, i have had men, women, kids all feint, i can tell when they are going, and usually "locked" then in the chair or the way that i hold them, get my tubes, then wake them up......it's the ones that stop at the door, slowly start to sit down when there is no chair you have to watch!
i have caught a many! including my own wife!  :lol:
"MORE booze!"

Offline Dali Llama

Re: ????????
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 08:12:08 AM »
Quote from: kaintuck
the person with the badge on was probably not a nurse.
Perchance she be head nurse, say Dali Llama. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Leftoverdj

Phlebotomy
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004, 09:51:49 AM »
If you have to have blood drawn, hope to get a phlebotomist to do it. They do more needle sticks in a day than the average doctor does in a year and they get real good at it.

There is only one situation in which you want someone bad with a needle poking at you. In my rowdy youth, near 40 years ago, I beat a DUI charge after allowing four or five attempts to draw blood. Judge said that was more tries than he would have given and without the blood test there was no case.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Dali Llama

Phlebotomy
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 02:11:56 AM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
They do more needle sticks in a day than the average doctor does in a year and they get real good at it.
Dali Llama say heroin addict in Bronx likely do same and develop "expertise," but Dali not want him drawing his blood. :eek:  :eek:

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
Phlebotomy
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 09:52:17 PM »
I'm diabetic so I get finger pricked and blood drawn on a regular basis. I figger I've spurted enough blood to fill a whole 'nother person - or maybe two. Sometimes I get jabbed by a beginner, and it's like being poked with a pitchfork.
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

Phlebotomy
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2004, 01:31:35 AM »
Quote from: Fla Brian
I figger I've spurted enough blood to fill a whole 'nother person - or maybe two.
Dali Llama say that sound like a vampire's favorite fantasy. :-D  :)  :grin:  :-D  :)

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
Phlebotomy
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2004, 06:11:44 AM »
Funny, that's what I jokingly call the young ladies at my doctor's office who do the deed.

Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

Phlebotomy
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2004, 02:05:58 AM »
Funny, that's what I jokingly call the young ladies at my doctor's office who do the deed.

Do this lady perchance also be Head Nurse, ask Dali Llama? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
Phlebotomy
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2004, 05:38:46 AM »
With them theah fangs, not fer me she ain't, y'all. Ah garontee
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

Phlebotomy
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »
With them theah fangs, not fer me she ain't, y'all. Ah garontee
Perhaps they be mere cosmetic dentures, and thus removable, say Dali Llama. :eek:  :shock:  :lol:

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
Phlebotomy
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 07:18:59 PM »
Makes me no never mind. Th' wife's a pretty good shot, an' Ah ain't hankerin' tuh give 'er no ex-cuses.

Like th' feller done said, discretion be th' better part o' valor. An' Ah be plumb full o' discretion, y'all.

Ah garontee!
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Offline Dali Llama

Phlebotomy
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2004, 04:53:33 AM »
Like th' feller done said, discretion be th' better part o' valor. An' Ah be plumb full o' discretion, y'all.

Dali Llama say he hear another "feller" say that what someone do not know do not hurt them. :D