Author Topic: Help me rationalize a .223  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Gratman

• Trade Count: (0)
Help me rationalize a .223
« on: February 20, 2004, 06:36:39 AM »
Ok....I am needing some input as to why I should get a .223 handi.
Winter is killing me, I have sighted in and am satisfied with all I have to shoot....the .243, and the .270 are on target...the .22 is fine....the shotguns have been taken apart, cleaned, well oiled and stored.....and I keep seeing these GREAT POSTS about Handi  .223's.   So tell me why I need one.   If anybody can talk me into it.....it's gotta be yall.      

Gratman
Gratman

...and remember....all plumbing is temporary...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 06:40:51 AM »
Gratman, the simple answer to your query is that, YOU NEED ONE!!, Of course you need one immediately AFTER you get your 45-70....<><.... :grin: Of course I could say they are fun and CHEAP to shoot, ALMOST as much fun as shooting the 45-70, which is more fun the shoot and easier to reload for and experiment with, jacketed, lead, cast, gaschecked or not, sized or not, BP, smokeless,Pyrodex, 777, oh the possibilities, squib loads, full loads, neck sized, full length resized, OH the Humanity!!! By the way after my 45-70 I did get a .223 and they are each great to own and shoot!!!  :D and by the way, the .223 is probably the cheapest, most accurate cenetrfire you could buy and shoot without reloading!!! Does that help? Also you could shoot it in the postal matches!! Boy the reasons have no end...just do it, buy one!! :yeah:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline .308

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 06:46:34 AM »
Same here, but for me it's the .22 Hornet. I feel your pain. Then I think why not just get the .223 and working up some light loads for it. I dunno. HELP. :?
Edit: Oh, my MSP. But at least I already got the .45-70,  8). But how about the .357 and the .44 and all the possibilities with those. Maybe not with the BP and subs, but gosh goodness cast bullet loads abound. Only fly in that ointment is they've dropped the .357 as a complete gun and there's rumor the .44 is getting the ax too.  :(

Offline Gratman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 06:46:54 AM »
MSP Ret

Now, ok...I can think about the .223...but tell me what I do with the 45-70?      Nothing around here bigger than a fat winter red-squirrel to unload on......I had more fun blasting them withthe paitball gun with my son, as they were hauling off all our pecans this year.   It is funny to look out in the yard , and to actually see a blue or yellow squirrel.  Guess that paint takes awhile to "wear off"......ha.

Gratman.
Gratman

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 07:57:08 AM »
Gratman, the simple answer to your query is that, YOU NEED ONE!!

Actually MSP Ret, I'd say because you WANT one :mrgreen:

The .223 is a great little round.  I have two firearms chambered for it.  That means I get to go through load development not once, but twice :-D
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Gratman

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 08:57:04 AM »
OK, you got me......I do want one....so i guess I have a new purpose this weekend.......try and find a good used one first, and then it's off to my two local gunshops to see what they might have....and then hit the pawn shops...and my last choice....wally world..

Thanks for making me see the light.........

Gratman
Gratman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 09:59:37 AM »
Gratman, I use my 45-70 for deer in Maine that sometimes (if your lucky) dress out at 300+ lbs. I have gotten them up to 201 dressed and many are shot every year at 200+ (Maine Big Bucks Club).  I hunt the thick stuff, swamps and such. I have hunted feral hogs in Texas but with my longbow. Do you have pigs and black bear where you are?? The 45-70 suits them fine....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Gratman

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 10:14:40 AM »
The pigs we have around here are the barnyard variety....and there are some scare sightings of Black Bear about 3 hours west of here in the Ozarks......but it wasn't that long ago..(just a year or two I believe) , that a man shot one that came up on his families campsite....and as usual, it drew media attention, and he was fined, jailed, lost hunting privs...etc, etc....so black bear is off the table ...but again..there aren't any within hundres of miles of here.....and deer hunting too is something we have to travel several hours to do.....this delta bottom land here is scraped of all things taller than a fencepost and center pivot irrigation units......every fence-row, brush pile and slough has been scraped off the face of the earth , making room for more row-crop land, cotton, beans, corn, milo...the wildlife here has no chance.
Gratman

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 11:59:52 AM »
Gratman,
  No 45/70? No .223? Man, life ain't easy, you sure the name of your state, isn't Misery? :) I 'd be livin' in misery without my 45/70, and .223. :)  :-D  :)  :-D  :)
Don

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 05:05:40 AM »
Misery for sure........but we do what we do....right..
Hey Gratman......go out and get that .223...
Ponydog
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 11:43:27 AM »
I don't hand load, so the price of the shells was a seller for me!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 04:05:30 PM »
Quote from: DAD
I don't hand load, so the price of the shells was a seller for me!

Dad has a great point there, it's got to be the cheapest centerfire ammo available! Like all of the past U.S. military calibers, availability is never a problem.
Don

Offline Coltrane

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 05:59:22 AM »
I decided I HAD to have a car rifle that was compact and tough to take the abuse of riding around in the car. I really wanted another .357 to cut down and receiver sight, but since that's out (THANKS A LOT NEF!!!), I opted for a .223.

Here's why:

1.  .223 is cheap to shoot and easy/cheap to load.
2.   NEF makes an iron-sighted version.
3.   They also make a synthetic YOUTH model, which has a 20" barrel and
      a short stock for a child. This means NO gunsmithing charges on my
      end for cutting & re-crowning the barrel and cutting the stock or
      replacing it with a youth stock.
4.   Best of all, I ordered it from Wal-Mart and have it in Layaway as we
      speak!  It runs $195.96 from Sports South.

I anticipate this to be a decent investment and a heck of a lot of fun to boot.  What more do you need to justify the purchase?

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 08:28:08 AM »
Coltrane,
  Lay-a way at Walmart? That could cause me to change my mind, and buy from them after all. What kind of terms do they offer on the lay-a-ways?
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 03:49:50 PM »
Big blue
Lately it was 50% down and the rest at pick up.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »
Quote from: handirifle
Big blue
Lately it was 50% down and the rest at pick up.

That could easily be a Handi a month. Yeah that's the ticket, a Handi a month club. Want to join? Let's see, first a 22-250, then a 30/06, 25-06, .17, 45/70................................................................................. :)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Re: Help me rationalize a .223
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 04:26:26 PM »
Quote from: Gratman
Ok....I am needing some input as to why I should get a .223 handi.  If anybody can talk me into it.....it's gotta be yall.      

Gratman

So are you convinced yet? Wait a minute, I got it! God would want you to have a .223! It's a heavenly rifle! :D

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 10:17:32 PM »
:wink: One way to look at it would be.... that if you shoot yourself in the foot with a .223 you'll probably have more foot left than if you did it with a .45-70 :grin:  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Gratman

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 03:21:17 AM »
Ok OK I am sold........I looked this weekend , the small town I live in had few rifle options in the pawn shops...and the gunsmith is not in on Saturdays.....(??)....so I am going by his place today.  My thinking is a .223 would round out my needs and I could be satisfied to not buy another one..( and more calibers that is)..

But I have been thinking about the .223 for awhile.   Is it overkill to have a .243 & a .223??    Calibers are mighty close.....but I really like the looks of all the reasons given.   And you are right...I do want one.

Gratman
Gratman

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 07:46:43 AM »
MSP Ret

Now, ok...I can think about the .223...but tell me what I do with the 45-70?      Nothing around here bigger than a fat winter red-squirrel to unload on......I had more fun blasting them withthe paitball gun with my son, as they were hauling off all our pecans this year.   It is funny to look out in the yard , and to actually see a blue or yellow squirrel.  Guess that paint takes awhile to "wear off"......ha.

Gratman.

What can you do with the 45-70???? Well you can load it up light for mild plinking loads suitable for an afternoon just  goofing off,or you can get down and dirty with it and load up some nostalga loads of Black Powder and have fun pretending your a Buffalo Hunter,or you can load it up with some really big bruisers and take out after some of the largest critters that walk, with it...It's one of those do-just-about-anything-you-want-to-cartridges....good from squirrels to elephants as the saying goes...

Can you tell I really like the 45-70 :-D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Gratman

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 08:30:50 AM »
Man11700...

There seems no doubt you like your 45-70.  Guess down here in SWAMP-EAST Missouri.....the land is so flat ..and the critters are so few and far between.....I need that .223 instead, to reach out and get em.
But I respect your thining...and your fondness of your 45-70.  

Gratman
Gratman

Offline Gratman

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 08:34:49 AM »
Mac11700

First of all your handle is Mac11700
excuse my poor keyboard skills...and it is your thinking..I spoke of in my last post.   not thining........I need to get back to work.    apologies again.

Gratman
Gratman

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2004, 12:28:16 PM »
Mac11700

First of all your handle is Mac11700
excuse my poor keyboard skills...and it is your thinking..I spoke of in my last post.   not thining........I need to get back to work.

Gratman

Gratman,
  45/70s definitely help with concentration issues! :)  I was at Cabellas today, and their taxidermy display convinced me I need to load my 45/70 heavier. Rhinos, Elephants, Polar Bears, Grizzlies, Lions, Tigers and Bears, Oh My!  :-D
Don

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 11:36:25 PM »
Man11700...

There seems no doubt you like your 45-70.  Guess down here in SWAMP-EAST Missouri.....the land is so flat ..and the critters are so few and far between.....I need that .223 instead, to reach out and get em.
But I respect your thining...and your fondness of your 45-70.  

Gratman

Well I can tell you that I have a 300 grain Nosler load that clocks out of my 18" 1895GS at an Honest 2288fps. Now if you look at the downrange punch this cartridge has at 200 yards you'll see that it really will do the job .I took a nice 10pointer at a lazered 152 yards this past deer season and he only went a few feet before piling up.The bullet exited  nicely was slightly larger than caliber size going in and slightly smaller than a silver dollar coming out..I couldn't of asked for a better clean kill that what I got with it.I have a PBR of 220 yards with a 4.25" rise and fall...I could stretch it a bit further but this serves me well.,and it still has over 1800ft.lbs of energy to use at that distance...anything over this range I'll use my 308 Survivor...I feel the 45-70 has had a bad rap with all of the old BP loadings for it,and really shouldn't be overlooked for an all around fun cartridge to use,there is a-lot of guys on our Lever Action forum that will tell you the same thing.I know a little about those swamp deer and I know I wouldn't want to have to chase them too durn far with all the cotton mouths and critters you have to deal with,I had plenty of fun doing that all thru out the CacheBottoms across the river from ya......... :wink:

Mac

Offline Gratman

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004, 03:24:24 AM »
Mac 11700

Sounds like you really know your 45-70.   Nothing more dangerous to game than a man who shoots one rifle. (Although I know you have more).
My swamp deer hunting has been very limited.   I have been fortunate enough to go to south texas the last couple of years to deer hunt. I really like that brush country down there.   But I have already started asking about private land near the Mississippi where a few farmers who are friends own land.   Seems when these guys own enough, they have farm managers..and these farm managers also get to say who hunts and who does not, even though they don't own an acre.  The landowners give them ( the farm manger) this priviledge, and they(farm mangers) in turn, make money off leases for the year.  The farmer knows this, and sees it as a way to increase the farm managers pay , without actually paying out any more from their pocket. The landowner will actually not have a say in who hunts his own land, for fear he may upset his farm manger and lose him.  Go figure.  So I have found that it is quite a bit more difficult to actually find a place to go hunting for deer here in the fall.  Too much open land, and too few folks crammed into existing land.  Very dangerous.  So....the hills of the brush country of South Texas, have been alot more receptive.  Wish me luck on finding my .223.    

Gratman
Gratman

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Good Luck
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2004, 08:05:08 AM »
Gratman:

Well I do wish you luck on the 223...that shouldn't be to difficult to get,as far as finding deceant land to hunt on here in Missouri...believe me when I say that for the past 2 years I have logged over 4500 miles on my Jeep in search of some quality places,I've knocked on so-many doors and been chased more than once by some angry dogs trying to get permission.It's not easy that's for sure.I've just about reached the same conclusion as you and probably will hunt across the river in Illinois this year,which means getting a Ultra Slug barrel for my Survivor...

Good Luck

Mac

Offline Gratman

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2004, 03:16:52 AM »
Well,
I don't have a place across the river either....I do have a friend in KY, but I just refuse to believe that if I live here, pay my taxes, and vote in this state, I have certainly earned the right to hunt in this state.  I am afraid that by the time my son (12) gets to be my age , the only hunting left will be at "pay hunts" land that sets up pen raised birds, and has almost petting zoo style deer,   I guess my goal should be finding a few hundred acres to buy, if for nothing else to leave it to my kids.  There are counties west of here, with hills , streams and bluffs , that can still be had for 500 per acre or less...  70 acres of land would cost less than a Suburban...and would certainly last longer.   What do you think??

Gratman
Gratman