Author Topic: Looking into getting one.  (Read 1810 times)

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Looking into getting one.
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:32:16 AM »
I am looking into getting my first black powder revolver.  Possibly a 1858 New Army.  Any other suggestions?  Also, why do they seem so hard to find now?

Offline mccleese

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Looking into getting one.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
I have a few 1858 revolvers but I REALLY love my 1851 navy.  These are just perfect.  Very nice feel and fit my big hands even.  It is a 36 cal instead of 44.  But all that means to me is it is cheaper to shoot.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
I'd get a steel framed Remington '58 in .44 caliber.  Uses a .45 cal ball (yep it's backwards but .44 takes a .45) and about 35 gr. FFFg powder to nearly approximate the .45 colt.  The stronger frame of the Remington is capable of higher pressures than the '51.  If you really want a good one find a Ruger Old Army (uses a .457 round ball not .454), but they aren't made any longer and are getting costly now.  Failing that there are several companies making good replicas with the least expensive typically being the Traditions, but also available from Uberti and Cimmaron Arms and others.  Many are made in Italy or Spain.  One left of a good deal at Traditions if you are ready to buy one.
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/1858-army-revolver-.44-cal-steel-fr18582-02
This is a picture of my Ruger Old Army, which I recently sold:
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Cleburne

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
The 1858 Remington New Army is a great place to start. Just be sure to get a steel framed model, either Pietta or Uberti. I've had my Pietta for over fifteen years and it's performed without a hitch. While never owning an 1851 Colt model, I have had a couple Colt 1860 Army reproductions by Pietta and loved their balance and light actions. However they had a propensity to allow spent caps to fall into the action when cocking the hammer for the next shot, causing misfires. Welcome to the wonderful world of cap & ball revolvers!

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
Ruger old army revolvers have never failed to disappoint me. I've had a few and I have two now. The 1858 Remington is my overall choice. The Colts look good  right up until they fall apart. I must mention that brass frames and Colts in 36 can survive. For a 44[45], a 58 Remington, Pietta or Uberti is a good starting point.

Two things that make me feel 'old west' are emptying  a  big smokey revolver and riding your horse into town.

P.A.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
Harder to get now because everything firearms related is scarce.  More research to decide if you really want one. They take more work to shoot and maintain. Steel over brass - 44 over 36 for your starting point.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
Before purchasing a cap and ball revolver, ask yourself honestly how well you maintain your modern revolvers.
Too many folks purchase cap and ball revolvers, thinking that they're cool and all, then neglect proper cleaning as too much work. Some are turned off by the slow loading process.
I've seen dozens of cap and ball guns in pawn shops, yard sales and gun shows with rusted bores and chambers because they were fired and never cleaned. And I've probably run across a dozen guys through the decades that said they bought one, then gave up cleaning it. "Just too much bother," is a common complaint.
Unless you are committed to cleaning the cap and ball revolver within no more than two days of firing it -- and sooner in particularly humid places -- I'd suggest you forsake getting one.
Yes, you can get a stainless steel Remington pattern, and that will resist rust, but much of the reason for cleaning is also to remove all the fouling created by black powder and its substitutes. That fouling hinders moving parts, causing them to drag. Black powder fouling is also mildly abrasive.
Black powder guns are not like modern ones, which can be cleaned days, weeks or months later without damage to the steel (depending upon the environment). They require extra care and commitment to maintenance.
If you're not up to that, buy a .22 pistol. It's probably the most benign cartridge made.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »
What Gatofeo said +1.  Failing that, if you still want one, even though I don't care for them, a steel framed version of the Remington Army (.44 cal)  or Navy (.36 cal) is probably your best bet.  They are easier to learn on.   My personal favorite; however, is a 2nd Gen or Uberti 1861 Navy.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
Really, isn't the 1861 Navy just about perfect?