Poll

What would you have done

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: February 20, 2004, 09:54:21 AM

Author Topic: Busted someone cheating in a match  (Read 2396 times)

Offline twodollarpistol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Busting a cheat
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 03:31:17 AM »
A thief is not a thief until he actually steels something. And a cheat is not a cheat until he actually cheats. If you had said something before he actually fired you would not really know if he was guilty of trying to cheat or not. By allowing him to fire , then calling him on it , you gave him an opportunity to explain and clear himself. He convicted himself by his own actions when confronted. I would want to know for sure of his intent and call it what it is-remove all doubt. You did the correct thing in my opinion, although I know it was unpleasant for you.  :(
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Questor

Busted someone cheating in a match
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2004, 05:07:26 AM »
The NRA rulebook for Conventional Pistol, section 8.1.3.9 specifies that "...on the first offense the competitor's non-dominant hand shall be cut off, on the second offense, the non-dominant eye shall be plucked out, and on the third offense the competitor shall be stoned to death."

Just follow the rules and you'll be OK. ;)
Safety first

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2004, 07:56:29 PM »
dbutton
Let me answer by telling a story of my own.  When I was working for a large chain drug store about 30 years ago, tha manager asked me a question similar to your situation.  He said, "If you were a manager and caught a checker stealing $10 from a cash register, you had witnessed it yourself, and confronter the checker about it.  What would you do?", he asked.  I said, "I would warn the checker and wathc close from then on."  He said I was wrong, and that I should fire the checker on the spot, because you have no idea how mant times you have been stolen from in the past and NOT caught it.

Point being, you were right to do what you did and had PLENTY of witnesses in advance to back it up.  I think you were way too nice to him.  Let a liar be called a liar and a cheat be called a cheat.  Let him teammates, if they were in on it, know everyone is watching them all from now on.

If you were Hillary and Bill said he didn't have sex with the maid would YOU believe him?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2004, 06:29:57 AM »
:cb2: Sorry folks, but I'm a school teacher, and there is a great deal of satisfaction in catching a cheater in the act. So much gets by without catching them, and most students think it's OK to cheat today--unless of course they get caught. Then they are sorry for getting caught, not for cheating. The only way to make a dent in that type of behavior is to burn them, and hope they remember the consequences.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 454-hunter

He is a cheater
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2004, 09:19:52 PM »
I think you did the right thing I actually would have thrown him out of the match. A young state trooper who was the valedictorian here in west virginia was caught putting extra shoots in hi 7 yrd and 15 yrd targets and then shooting high at 25 yrds and they kicked him out of the Academy never to return if you get kicked out or leave then you can never be a cop in WV again honesty is a thing of the past for a lot of guys and they will do anyhting to get ahead. I think some of the other members also knew what he was doing and they all argues with you to try and make you look bad. I think you were right . To bad he was being dishonest!

Offline Peddler Parsons

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 05:16:59 PM »
Tho I do not shoot this type of match;  could you have not called a cease fire after say 7 rounds? go down with the 2 captains, look at his target; this way you have flat caught him with 10 holes in   the target with only 7 rounds shot??  Then let him explain that ! and everyone would know what kind of a competitor he truly is
Peddler Parsons
SASS # 31281  R.O. II
SBSS # 259
Shooter of the Holy Black