Author Topic: Patterned my 10 gauge boom stick on turkey targets  (Read 972 times)

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Patterned my 10 gauge boom stick on turkey targets
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Well I shot my custom 10 gauge boom stick today this week.  It is one of the factory SB2's with a 24'' barrel which is threaded for a screw in choke.  I had a custom shotgun gunsmith machine a one of his chokes and he lengthened the forcing cone for me.  I was shooting at 40 yds shooting my 3 1/2'' 2 oz number 6's in a Federal Premium with Flite Control Wads.  First of all this thing bites hard.  I realized I need a slip on before next Monday's opening day.  What I noticed on the turkey targets that highlighted the vitals.  I had placed 12 pellets on the vitals.  Pretty impressed but ouch.  Any one have any other luck with another cartridge choice? 

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Patterned my 10 gauge boom stick on turkey targets
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
mine favors the black box winchester
supreme # 6 2-1/4 oz. 3-1/2"

with 24" barrel-factory turkey x-full
self done long f. cone & bore polish.

these are older loads. i don't know
if you can still get the 2-1/4 oz.

i took the steel doo-dad out of the
stock when i first got it. yes, they
do bite, but at both ends ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
these are older loads. i don't know
if you can still get the 2-1/4 oz.
Remington has them in #4's
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
Howdy Stew, for serious long range blowing up of critters have a look at the Hevi-Shot loaded ammo. 3 times more expensive but results are increased 3 fold. If you have 125 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds from your current ammo, expect 275+ with the Hevi. A choke of proper constriction to match your choice of pellet size is needed. In my 10ga single shot I get 330 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds.  Perhaps not required to kill turkeys, but you did ask for input on different cartridge choices....

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Howdy Stew, for serious long range blowing up of critters have a look at the Hevi-Shot loaded ammo. 3 times more expensive but results are increased 3 fold. If you have 125 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds from your current ammo, expect 275+ with the Hevi. A choke of proper constriction to match your choice of pellet size is needed. In my 10ga single shot I get 330 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds.  Perhaps not required to kill turkeys, but you did ask for input on different cartridge choices....
My friend that has the twin custom gun to my 10 gauge, uses the same ammo that you speak of.  I went to their website and I realized the quality, especially when I saw the price per shell.  Thanks