Author Topic: which dies for 223 AR-15  (Read 1380 times)

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
which dies for 223 AR-15
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
I am thinking about loading for a AR-15 (DPMS Sportical)
Will be loading mostly Nosler Partitions with H-4895.
I have reloaded off and on for over 40 years but never for a semi-auto or for a 223/
Do I need small base dies or will standard full length dies work fine?
Thanks
Craig

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: which dies for 223 AR-15
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
Here is an AR Forum thread that is a good "read" on this subject.  Pros and Cons are discussed, DPMS opinions are offered, and bottom line, your results may vary.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/338410__223_small_base_dies___.html

For my home built .223 caliber AAR-15's (i.e. Anvil Arms receiver; caliber varies), my money went into a small base die and I have had no reload chambering difficulties. 

I also bought a regular Full Length sizing die set for my .223 single shot Handi-rifles, but have not attempted to chamber these in the AAR's.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »
I too have read the various posts on different forums. My preference lies to use and recomend SB for auto feed actions.

Sure it works the brass more, but its 223.... It's everywhere! The vast majority of people have no difficulty attaining fired brass to load. The "wear" is minimal. I do t remember the last piece of 223 brass I "wore out". And I shoot a fair amount...

You may or may not see a difference with the SB. But it's not gonna hurt a thing! Where as a FL may or may not work, the SB will.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:26:22 AM »
Good insurance! Buy the SB sizing die.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:38:35 AM »
I haven't had a problem with feeding in my AR, but I might just give it a try with a SB die, just to make sure there are no feeding problems.

I have to use a SB sizer with my 7Mag, due to the tight chamber and it works great.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:13:56 AM »
I've never had a problem with any of my ARs and a standard RBCS die. But like it was said before, a SB can't hurt aside from working the brass more.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »
I know the SB dies are suppose to be better for semi-autos, but I've been using RCBS F/L dies, and I have loaded over a thousand rounds of .223 using both commercial and military brass.  I've never had a problem with the ammo.

If you feel more comfortable with SB dies, go for it.  I think that you may just need to adjust your regular (F/L) die down a "little" bit more.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »
i have been using standard lee dies with no problems. i would not think factory loads would use the smaller dies.

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »
There's no problem using small base dies but it's really not necessary, as the vast majority of problems you'll encounter with semi-auto's is headspace problems.  To overcome headspace problems you'll usually bump the shoulder back 0.001" to 0.002" with a bolt rifle and between 0.004" and 0.006" with a semi-auto - there is where you'll usually find the hard chambering aspect when it comes to reloading for semi's.  This can be set usually by adjusting your resizing die.

I use the Redding dies and they make about anything you want - depending upon how nit picky you want to get - such as body dies, bushings etc.  The use of bushings in the FL resizing die (Redding type - S dies) is not recommended for the AR but I have used that die without a problem but would just recommend using a non-bushing full length resizing die but with a decapping pin retainer in place of the standard size button/ball, so you don't expand the neck at all. 

When you don't expand the neck using boattail bullets or a flat base with a slight bevel you'll have a case that will give you the maximum case neck tension and will normally take away the need for a taper crimp in the AR platform - not that a taper crimp is needed but a lot of AR reloaders put a slight roll or a firm taper crimp on the 223 to be used in an AR. 

I've never experienced either bullet pull or set-back using a decapping pin retainer in place of the standard size button/ball on AR loads up to 77 grains.

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
A few years ago I when I started loading for my first AR I was using RCBS FL die and nothing but chambering problems. I tried running the die down several time and same results.  Then I bought an RCBS SB die and presto no more chambering problems.  I say SB all the way.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
I've only used rcbs sb die with mine, absolutely no problems with over 1000rds to date.
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Original M38 6.5X55 Swede
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »
i have been thinking about a carbide die. that you don't have to lube your brass before sizing. they are a little more money but would make reloading  easier.what you think?.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:34:33 AM »
my first goal with ar ammo is reliablility, second goal is reliability a third is accuracy. All of my ar ammo gets small based sized and trimmed every shooting. I could care less if i get one or two less firings or my groups open up a .10 of an inch. The guns might someday be used to protect my family and i want them to go bang EVERY time. Clean or dirty and the ammo i have in the ammo box needs to fire in all of my ars not just the ones that dont have tight chambers. If you only have one ar and it will run a 1000 rounds of your ammo sized in a regular die without cleaning the gun without one bobble then go for it but id say maybe one in 5 ars will do it.
blue lives matter

Offline glockmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »
theratdog, the only carbide sizing die I know of are for straight wall pistol cases. Tapered cases and bottle necked cases will have to be lubed, they don't have the carbide ring at the base of the die mouth. If you know of a carbide sizer die for tapered/bottle necked cases, let me know, Thanks, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
i have been thinking about a carbide die. that you don't have to lube your brass before sizing. they are a little more money but would make reloading  easier.what you think?.
The carbide die for the AR is a carbide neck sizing button only - you still have to lube your case body.

Lloyd - the SB die is fine but I've reloaded for several AR's and never ever had a problem using regular dies.  I'll measure their spent brass and bump the shoulder back so my head gauge reads 2.540/2.541.  If you check new brass on a headspace gauge similiar to mine, you'll find most go 2.541" and measuring a spent case you will find it grows between 0.004" and 0.006".  In my particular AR it's 0.005", so I just bump the shoulder 0.006" and never had a failure to feed. 

On standard dies, when adjusted for maximum bump, I think you can bump the shoulder 0.010 or a tad more and unless your base is blowing out, a standard die is really all that's needed.  If you have a "funny" chamber then a regular die may fail after the 2nd or 3rd loading due to the base swelling, which will cause a failure to feed.  I've heard of those chambers but never encountered one in a 223.

But I do understand that "peace of mind" feeling and for that feeling I would think a SB die is probably the way to go.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
I bump mine .003" Which is .002" more than I do for other rifles. Obviously you shouldn't neck size only for an auto, but I still want to limit the amount of headspace in any rifle I own. I've never had a failure to feed with this method. My AR's aren't any more important to me for protecting my family than my 870, so accuracy is right there at the top of the heap for me.  Now if I start having issues with feeding, I will have to modify my routine..
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Ya, you're probably right in there for optimum performance both from the rifle and for case life.  I just bring mine down to around factory spec. on semi-autos and find they work in about any semi out there, which may not be that bright of an idea, as they don't seem to reciprocate all that well. :D

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
The only carbide rifle die I remember seeing is by Dillon, there may be others. I believe you still have to lube the cases.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 05:16:48 AM »
You can get away without lubing the brass with straight wall pistol cases, like the 38spec.  With bottle neck cases, you still have to lube your brass before sizing. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
All I can say is I use standard Redding dies and have never had a problem. I also have some RCBS and no problem when using those. And I also trim every time.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
i read somewhere and dont hold me to this, that the redding dies for 223 are all speced at small base dimentions
blue lives matter