Author Topic: Executive orders what power do they hold?  (Read 370 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Executive orders what power do they hold?
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
I would guess this would be a good one for our resident lawyers to answer. Atlaw, Duk fill us all in. Do they hold the power of law? Do they only pertain to federal employees as I have heard people say. Or anyone else with knowledge please chime in.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
Re: Executive orders what power do they hold?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
29 views and no replies doesn't anyone know what power executive orders hold?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »
I think you will find the answer to be controversial.......it will depend on who you speak with.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
That is why I am hoping some of the lawyers who frequent this site will chime in.

Offline FPH

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Answer from a Conservative will be opposite from a Liberal from the Executive branch

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
I probably spent a day or two many, many years ago learning about Executive orders in constitutional law.  Haven't studied it since.  My sorta recollection was that there were areas where executive orders were given the power of law by the Constitution, things like recess appointments.  Then there were things that were given the power of law by Congressional assignment, like the invasion of Iraq.  Then I think there are Executive orders that have the power from the agency being in the executive branch, things like the Justice Department and homeland security (I think). 

Then there are executive orders that are of dubious power, things for which the President probably doesn't have the power, but does it anyway.  Things like desegregation public schools under Eisenhower apparently fit into this category. 

It seems to me that most of what gets discussed about with regard to Executive Orders generally finds it's way into the Executive Branch part.  The criticism would probably be more accurate that the executive branch is too big an intrusive, rather than that the orders themselves are illegal.  Without researching it, I vaguely recall that each of the last few presidents have made a lot of these type orders.