Author Topic: New Huntsman - ?Advice?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« on: February 20, 2004, 02:13:07 PM »
Wow - looks like this new forum is already really getting used a lot!  :eek: A big HOWDY to our moderators Redhawk and my friend Wlscott  :D .
I just went today and took a look at my new Huntsman and then put it on layaway. I like this gun!! :grin:  The ramrod is something I can live with in the field I think. I have copied a lot of posts from the old site on modifications and ammo, etc. on this gun. My question today is what will I need in the way of accessories (bullet starter, primers, etc.) to get ready to shoot this Honey? Now I know all ya'll are gonna help this newbie out so....let's get at it.
 :cb2: :wink:  :cb2:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 02:34:47 PM »
Howdy back atchya Lik2Hunt.

First, I want to ask why you say the ramrod is "useable" in the field?

I've read about it being "collapsable".  Does it seem like it would be a pain to use?  I've got a synthetic one for my CVA.  Could a guy swap them out?

As far as accessories....

You'll need a bullet starter.  A lot of people use the ball type, I like the T handled starter from Knight.  It also screws onto the end of my ramrod to assist in cleaning chores.
Hint:  After I decide which load shoots best, I slide the ramrod all the way in with the gun charged, and mark the side of it so I can easily see if it is loaded or not.

Cleaning kit:  Your ramrod should act as a cleaning rod, but I like to have a dedicated rod for my bp stuff.  You can get a kit that will have a bunch of accessory ends for your ramrod.  It should have a .50 cal brush, a mop, a patch loop/jag, a patch puller, and posibly a threaded bullet puller.  Get a packet of .50 cal cleaning patches, and some black powder solvent.  Don't use the same solvent for bp that you use for your centerfire rifles.  It won't work.  You can use hot water and dish soap and that will work just fine.  Most companies make a solvent specific to bp stuff that you mix with water to use.  You should also get some Oxyoke Wonderlube.  GREAT STUFF. If you can't find it, get some bore butter.  Pretty much the same thing as far as I can tell.  The bore butter/Oxyoke goes on after you clean to prevent rusting.  It also helps to use it while you're shooting at the range.

Speed loaders help to speed up the loading process when hunting.  But they're not completely necessary.  

Now you need a possibles bag to keep all of this stuff in and you're ready to go.  

I probably missed something, and I'm sure others have different stuff they use.  I'll be looking forward to seeing other posts on this one.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:17:26 PM »
There was alot of talk on the old forum about the ramrod being one of the major drawbacks to this gun. Advice was when at the range use a wood dowel or some other ramrod from another gun but neither of these would fit the carrier assembly on the Huntsman. Since you're probably only gonna reload once in the field anyway then advice was to go ahead and use the Huntsman ramrod but insert as far as possible with it unextended first (it's telescoping) and then extend it and finish loading with it. I looked at it pretty close today and it looks fairly sturdy even more than I was led to believe by the other posts. Solid brass in pretty good circumfrences 1/4" and 1/8" I'm guessing. When unextended it is held together by threading  and then when extended also threading to hold it stable. I could live with the extra trouble of all that for one reloading to finish off Mr. Whitetail if needed. But like all the other guys I'll use something else at the range I imagine.
Hope this helps.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 03:24:20 PM »
The telescoping ram rod is not a problem, if you use exclusively Powerbelt
bullets, in either 245 or 295gr copper jacketed. They tend to load so much easier, thus seat better. My finger is the bullet starter. The problem
is the cost of powerbelt vs say Hornady SST. Accuracy for me is better with powerbelt as well. If you look at the breech plug you will see that it has a bit of a reservoir on the powder end. This clearly indicates better
burn / faster ignition with granular powder. My huntsman has shot 4 deer in two years with 4 shots, (two 6 points, two does). One doe was 120 yds. All deer did not move... Oh 90gr 777!!! I can't imagine why you would need more......

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:28:37 PM »
Welcome to the board Tscott.

Not much info in your profile.  Where you from?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:37:02 PM »
lik2hunt, A big HOWDY back to ya. What I do as far as the ram rod, I bought the T/C rod called the Rugged Range Rod No. 9692. Works great, and as you stated the rod that comes with the huntsman will work just fine in the field. I use the range rod on all my muzzleloaders. It saves the wear on the rod that comes with the guns. :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Primer

• Avid Poster
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 05:59:12 PM »
lik2hunt,  :D

The problem with the ramrod, as equipped with the gun and looks good at first glance, are kind of threefold IMO:

1.   The RR when extended cannot take a lot of load pressure. Tends to break at the threads where the smaller O.D.(lower rod) meets the larger (hollow) rod. The threaded area sort of acts like a pivot point.
Best chance of it's survival is if it is used as directed in owners manual,which is to start your projectile with starter,...ram down 2/3 of way with RR in it's collapsed configuration,....extend RR and finish seating the bullet. As stated, the Power belts can be started usually with thumb pressure and seated fully with RR extended (with reasonable care taken).

2.  The load tip supplied, threads into the small (lower) rod end but uses 8-32" threads.  :(    Most load tips, readily available, use 10-32".

The face of the factory load tip is FLAT as a pancake and are ok for flat tip projectiles, but suffer with aero/ballistic tipped ones. (possible deformation problem).  This can be remedied by drilling a pilot hole in the load tip face and then tapping with a 10-32" tap, so a variety of load tips can be used and the RR will still collapse and lock as designed. There are other fixes,but won't go into them now.

3.  The other end of the stock ramrod has a hardwood end (slightly larger than the rod itself) that is not drilled for the use of a T-handle,etc. as mentioned above. Good idea to get one of the handles ( kind of ball type) that Tradition (I think) makes and easy to find at most well stocked gun supply shops. It fits exactly over the wood end of your Huntsman RR (like it was made for it). Always carry it with me when out with the Huntsman.

Sooo, although the RR looked good at first impression,there are some inherent design weaknesses and features that are not user friendly. Most of which can be overcome with a little help. :wink:

Offline Tracker

• Avid Poster
New Huntsman - ?Advice?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 09:30:12 AM »
Word of advice follow the instuctions in regards to the ram rod or you will break it like I did the first time on the range.  If you seat the bullet as they recommend with it unextended it will work fine.  If not you will be begging NEF like I did for a replacement.  Glad to see this site.  The huntsman is a great little gun and one of the best values in an inline out there.  Between MD and VA mine took four deer this year with Hornady SST 300 grain sabot's.  I was shootiung 777 this year and had no problems with my breach plug seizing.  I did use a anyti feezze grease as recommended and when on the range losen and tighten it up after every 3-4 shots.