Author Topic: Butt stock length question...  (Read 1218 times)

Offline deputy tom

• Trade Count: (0)
Butt stock length question...
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
Can someone tell me the length of the actual wooden butt stock on a Pardner or Topper .410 with a factory recoil pad? The Pardner  with a plastic butt plate has a LOP of 14 5/16" and actual stock length of 12.5" at the center of wrist to the center of the butt. I'm looking to put a stock recoil pad on if the measurements match those I posted but if it is going to lengthen the LOP I'll consider stock replacement or after market pad and cut the stock. TIA. tom.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Butt stock length question...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:44 AM »
I believe the proper length for an adult stock should be about 14.5" from butt to trigger.  The actual wood would, of course, be shorter.  I was always told you should comfortably reach the trigger with the butt tucked inside your elbow.  Then just measure the thickness of the recoil pad you plan to install and whack off that much stock.  Or just place a slip on "Sissy Pad" on and live with the extra length.  That's what I did.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:33:49 AM »
The 'elbow to trigger' reach only really tells you how it sits inside your elbow.....and nobody I know shoots one from there, but it is a quick reference that you always have with you to give you an idea how one 'new gun' compares to one you shoot well.
What you really want to know is how it mounts to your shoulder and shoots, for you, and that takes some shooting (usually) to find a fit that works for you, THEN reference that elbow to trigger finger to know how to compare with one you pick up.
British shotguns are often longer in that 'pull' than many 'made for the masses' and marketed here guns. They teach to 'throw the gun foward, pointing the barrel toward the critter and beginning the swing, then pull it back into the shoulder and continue'. It has been said that Americans (a nation of riflemen) tend to want to just slip the buttstock upward into the shooulder (too many years of shooting 'too short of pull' long guns?).
It is also said that fine tuning a stock can be as little as 1/4" this way or that (or for some even perhaps less).
So, FWIW, Ive been going with the longish stocks by choice and it is working for me, YMMV.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline deputy tom

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
My question is are both stocks the same length or is the one with a factory pad an inch shorter that the factory one without a pad ? Thanks. tom.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:41:37 AM »
If a stock comes with a factory pad the stock and the pad together should be the same length as a normal stock without a pad.  An old Topper 12 I used to have had a big spongy pad almost an inch thick and it measure 14.5 inches including the pad.

Offline deputy tom

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 04:31:39 AM »
If a stock comes with a factory pad the stock and the pad together should be the same length as a normal stock without a pad.  An old Topper 12 I used to have had a big spongy pad almost an inch thick and it measure 14.5 inches including the pad.

Thank you. That answered my question. tom.  8)

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »
I would add one thing -- test it with the clothes on that you intend to hunt in.    A gun that fits you perfectly in the store (wearing a tee shirt) is going to be too long and feel awkward when you have on thermals, a heavy shirt and an insulated coat.   Been there, done that.

Offline deputy tom

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
I would add one thing -- test it with the clothes on that you intend to hunt in.    A gun that fits you perfectly in the store (wearing a tee shirt) is going to be too long and feel awkward when you have on thermals, a heavy shirt and an insulated coat.   Been there, done that.

Yes, thanks. tom. 8)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
All the wood stocked ones I'm finding around here don't have recoil pads.  It don't make sense why a 12 gauge single shotgun would have a hard plastic but plate but that's the way mine came...

Tony

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:21:53 AM »
don't make sense why a 12 gauge single shotgun would have a hard plastic but plate

I'm with you.  That's why I put a slip on "Sissy Pad" on my 12 gauge Pardner.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:45:31 AM »
The reason for the hard plastic butt plate is cost, the plastic does not catch as you mount the gun or looks. Most likely cost.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:46:03 AM »
As for length of pull check the spec. sheet on line  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 06:31:39 AM »
I swapped the stock and forearm from my 12g pardner and .45-70 Handi.  I didn't really want or need another 12g but the wood on it was just too pretty to pass up.  We all now how rare that is on a H&R. 

Anyway my 12g now has a synthetic stock set with a recoil pad.  I don't normally name my guns but I call this one bruiser...

BTW, my 20g is due back from H&R any minute now.  At least the UPS tracking says that...

Tony