Author Topic: 10gauge opening when shooting  (Read 1462 times)

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
10gauge opening when shooting
« on: February 20, 2004, 03:27:57 PM »
I went out yesterday to check the pattern on some turkey targets.
After every shot the action would open(5 shots) :shock:
Has anyone here had this happen, I know a few of you here have a 10ga.
Is this something  that I will have to send the gun back to H&R?
Thanks in advance,
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 05:52:14 PM »
I have never had a problem with my 10GA opening when fired.  I have heard of some guys having problems with their 223's and such opening when fired.  Some of those problems rose from guys not closing up the action firmly.  They were just letting the action close slowly and gingerly.  You have to snap it shut with some ummph...Of course if I were you, I would call customer service to see what they recommend.  5 shots and 5 openings sounds a little fishy to me...Maybe some other guys will have more insight into this than I do.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 01:25:11 AM »
first off clean it really GOOD!!!!!!! i use a degreaser in a spray can. then follow up after cleaning all the junk out, i use some " rem oil " in a spray can. now i use spray so i can spray it in the receiver too.  after a good cleaning take her out and show her who is boss. yep you got to use a good snap when closing it. now if after all this it wont stay closed, i would take it right back. and just make sure they understand that it is not working right. most shops will either repair, or refund your money. you could also call H&R and see how much they would charge to fix it. its not very old, they might fix it for free. its kinda a funny thing, all the NEF/H&R guns i have owned, and i have never had one do what yours is doing. but i do know other people who have, and a good cleaning is the place to start.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 03:27:39 PM »
VC..
When I got home from work today I looked it over real good. Lots of metal shavings and gunk around the extractor and in the notch under it where the latch locks the barrel. I couldn't figure out how it could get this filthy with less than 20 rounds through it. After closer inspection of the shavings I have a theory. Each time the action is closed a small amount of brass is shaved off the shell by the receiver. Naturally these shavings(they look like glitter) accumulate in the recess under the extractor and in the barrel latch assy. It was too late tonight to try it out so I'm going out tomorrow and run a few through it and see what happens.
I'll keep ya'll posted,
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
S&W .357 Model 586

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 04:03:10 PM »
Those little "shavings" may also be from the factory.  I would remove the barrel and clean the area in the receiver that these shavings collect.  Every H&R I buy has some factory remnants down in that little area.  I always remove the barrels before firing and clean out that area and then re-grease the barrel hinge and re-oil the barrel as well as spreading some more oil down into the inside of the receiver area that I just scrubbed clean.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 03:15:37 PM »
PROBLEM SOLVED!! :grin:  :grin: :toast:  :music:  :drink4:
A good cleaning was all it needed. Fired four shots through it today with no problems, except for a little shoulder tenderness :). It even feels different when the barrel latches when closing. One thing I never realized until today is the ejector has never worked right since new. Before cleaning it today it would just pull the shell up enough to grab it when opening the barrel. (I never gave this a second thought because this is the way my 12 ga. double always worked and the only other guns I owned were pumps) This sucker will throw an unfired shell clean out the gun now :-)
Thanks to our Moderators for pointing me in the right direction with this problem. I am SO happy not to have to send it off to be repaired and be gone for God knows how long. This is a perfect example of why I love our forums and how they can be helpful as well as educating.
Thanks again guys,
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
S&W .357 Model 586

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 07:41:44 AM »
10GA<----- ALL I CAN SAY IS GLAD TO HELP :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  and i am glad it worked out for you. i got a feeling when you see what a 10ga does in the field, you will be very happy with your new gun. if you run into anything else, feel free to post it. if not myself, i am sure someone out here will be glad to help.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 01:24:12 PM »
Your be da man VC !!!!!!!!

See I got this little 10 from NEF because of what you told me about how the 10 ga will put the the ducks/Geese down and now I'm sitting here in Kuwait.  Heck the only duck they know is when someone YELLS duck there is a bomb.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)