Author Topic: 10 Gauge Marlin - Goose Gun  (Read 1216 times)

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
10 Gauge Marlin - Goose Gun
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:51:30 AM »
How many out there shoot the old "Goose Gun" and reload for it?
Just trying to come up with some good safe loads in this gun for varmints ( coyotes, coydogs, bobcats,etc. ).
At present I am shooting Remington 3.5" BB`s! Also having barrel shortened back to 26" and threaded for chokes.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 10 Gauge Marlin - Goose Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
Never owned one, but when I was young, a friend had one.  I shot it with a full power goose load.  My thumb smacked me in the nose, giving me a nose bleed.  And I thought my old single shot 12 kicked...

If I remember right, that gun locks up with the root of the bolt handle into the receiver.  Most bolt shotguns do.  It should be fine for any "Book" reload that stays within factory load pressure.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
Bigeasy,
 I have looked for some source showing factory load pressure data, so far no luck!
Any ideas where that information might be located?
As mentioned earlier I was planning on cutting the barrel back to 26", well guess that probably want happen as two gunsmith`s said that the barrel will have to be removed from the receiver and placed on a lathe to rethread it for a choke system! They say the barrel on these has the receiver pressed on to the barrel and cannot be removed to go on a lathe! 
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
How many out there shoot the old "Goose Gun" and reload for it?
Just trying to come up with some good safe loads in this gun for varmints ( coyotes, coydogs, bobcats,etc. ).
At present I am shooting Remington 3.5" BB`s! Also having barrel shortened back to 26" and threaded for chokes.

I remember those old loooong-Tom bolt-shotguns!  From Marlin.

Never shot one altho I think back in high skrewl days (30+ years ago!) considered getting one.

Recently (two days ago?) saw a 'Goose gun magazene' for sale on eBay! 
Was less than $30.

I agree with Bigeasy; stay withinn recommended load recipe and you should be fine.

Also I think you're smart for modifying the barrel length and chokes
(provided they're done right;  proper metal amount removed inside before its threaded to maintain correct bore diameter to muzzle).

In addition, if I was a 10 gauge shooter, would bust my azz to learn to reload 2-3/4", 2-7/8", and 3" shells as well as the 3-1/2inchers!  Would give you much more versatility for use on more than just geese or coyotes. (just a suggestion)

Ballistic Products.com sells a lot of components for the 10 ga, and loves that gauge.  ;)

Check out fleabay maybe for a "cheap" replacement magazine?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
Get a shot gun reloading manual.
The case is going to dictate the load you use.  Different cases have different loads and will react differently to the same amount of powder. 
I bought a bunch of Remington hulls, one is a Dark green and the other is a light green.
The Dark Green gets a 2 OZ load and the light green gets a 1 1/4 oz load for my SXS  It uses a few Felt wads to take up space in the wad. 
I have found the faster you send shot the larger that shot needs to be to maintain a pattern. 
2 Oz of 4's does a lot and you need to check for buck loads, the 3.5" shell holds about 54  #4 buck pellets.  that should be more than enough for anything you are willing to splatter.
The one thing I caution you on is cutting back the barrel.  You will need a tall front bead or you will be shooting high
Take your work bench and put a tape line where you want to trim the barrel.  Using the underside of your bench.  Place the rear bump on the bottom of the bench and the nsee that the bead should line up on the wood.  Move the gun so that the tape touches the bench and you will see that he barrel is now higher than the edge of the bench and will show you how high of a bead you will need.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
I would leave it as a Goose gun.  You don't really need replacable chokes just the full that it came with.  Just my opinion but I would leave it as my dedicated duck, goose and coyote gun.