Author Topic: RCBS Chargemaster and Hornady Auto Charge  (Read 877 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
RCBS Chargemaster and Hornady Auto Charge
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:13 PM »
Looking for input on both of these.  I'm thinking about getting one and want to know if anyone has a problem seating a bullet while the unit is dispensing on the same bench as the press is mounted.  I've read some reviews that say a separate bench or shelf is need for the unit like is recommended for a balance beam scale. Thanks

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: RCBS Chargemaster and Hornady Auto Charge
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
I do not have one of those, I have the Pact dispenser and scale.  When I first got it the reading would jump a little when seating the bullet with it on the bench.  I do not remember how bad, it has been a long time ago.

I built a little shelf and mounted it on the wall behind the bench and solved the problem.

Offline gary0529

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
Got the RCBS Chargemaster about a year ago as a replacement for a Lyman Model 1 w/ speed upgrades to 2 and 3.
The Lyman went tits up and since it was 6+years old and not in warranty I went for the RCBS after due diligence.

so far so good.

I don't use it as the primary method since the bulk of reloading is done on a  LnL progressive for the calibers that consume large a quantity of ammo and when I reload more precision stuff I usually dial in a grain less and use the Omega trickler to bring the charge up to weight on the GemPro so I can hold .02 grains.
The system works for me as I usually have the next charge waiting - auto refill feature of the RCBS- while I top off the loading and seat the bullet.
When I am reloading in this fashion I am NOT looking for speed but precision and it works for me.

When I have run small batches of ammunition the RCBS and its .1 gr sensitivity is quite adequate and rapid enough to suit me.

If you are so inclined, you can reprogram the software quite easily to up the delivery speed of the machine-just google for the info or ask on most any forum and/or you can get the information from RCBS customer service.

I have no experience with the Hornady unit. Sorry.

Gary

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
I own the Hornady unit.  I have had a few minor issues with it throwing an overcharge but there are some upgraded programming options that have been made available to owners to minimize those problems.  I think that the sturdiness of the bench where the unit is placed has a lot to do with the accuracy.  If you search You Tube there are a couple of videos that show how sensitive the unit is - meaning that a bump of the bench can cause it to overcharge (the unit will also register the overcharge and provides a warning).  My reloading area is pretty limited for space and my Hornady dispenser is located on the same bench (really a desktop with an over-sized piece of kitchen counter top applied to the desk top for extra rigidity) as my single stage press.  I don't seat bullets while powder is being dispensed because there is enough vibration to sometimes cause the dispenser to drop an extra .10 grain - this then requires that I empty the pan and dispense the powder again to get it right.  I'm not too concerned with it taking a little bit of extra time to separate the bullet seating and dispensing as I only use the single stage press for rifle cartridges, all of my pistol reloading occurs on a progressive press.

For the money, I think that the Hornady unit provides a good value. Had I had the extra cash available I would have purchased the RCBS unit.  My reasoning is that when it comes to many of the reloading accessories produced by both Hornady and RCBS, it's my opinion that the RCBS tools are of better quality than that of the Hornady accessories.  Like I said, the Hornady unit isn't bad by any means and it is a great value.  I can say that for the most part I have been pretty happy with mine.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Is anyone using a VibraKill pad under their scales?

http://www.thedigitalscale.com/vibrakillpad-large.html

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
I have an older version of the RCBS and I don't use it because of the problem of them being on the same bench. When I work the press arm the weight on the scale bounces around. I do need to put in a separate shelf for it so I can use it but so far I haven't done it.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline gary0529

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:05 AM »
RE:vibra-kill pad,

I use a cut piece of rubber floor mat that I got a HF. Seems to work OK.
I do use a line filter on the electrical line and do have the bench grounded so as not to acquire static build up.

Don't know if it is overkill but costs little and may help.

Gary

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
Perhaps my bench is a touch sturdier than others but I see no problems when I do both. But, I never have any abusive bullet seating situations either... now sizing might be a different story but I've intentionally tried to get an error and have went through the motions while loading and watched the scale and never saw a problem. I actually see more issues from the pulses of air from my ceiling fan believe it or not. The rcbs unit is great and I've had a great deal of success with it. The only problem you'd have is if you bounced the table hard enough to discharge extra powder from the tube and didn't see the over charge. Easy cure is when the rcbs unit slows to its final, trickle speed to stop your process and wait. You should be able to work this into your rhythm no prob and a small fumble or hold up will be the only time you can't get one seated in the time it takes for an average charge to dispense. If you have any questions specific to the rcbs unit pm me and I'd be happy to go try it out and see what it does for ya. Good luck

P.S. One flaw in the rcbs unit is there isn't much of an alarm for over/under charges. Just arrows on the lcd display. Personally doesn't hold me back but it is something that should be changed and I mentioned it to my buddy at rcbs but I don't know if later models were equipped or not.
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline FPH

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
I have the RCBS.  However I do one step at a time.  All my cases are always loaded before I go to the seat the bullets step.

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
I agree with FPH, definitely the best bet to just load one step at a time.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:19:36 AM »

Why?  My interest in either of these units is to increase my reloading efficiency.  Being able to do two steps simultaneously (measure powder and seat a bullet) is the units only appeal to me.  The other benefit is seating the bullet immediately reduces the chance of a double charge or no charge to zero.  Why not take advantage of that?

Offline FPH

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »

Why?  My interest in either of these units is to increase my reloading efficiency.  Being able to do two steps simultaneously (measure powder and seat a bullet) is the units only appeal to me.  The other benefit is seating the bullet immediately reduces the chance of a double charge or no charge to zero.  Why not take advantage of that?

Then buy a progressive.

Offline FPH

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
I concentrate on throwing all my powder, I can then visually compare the volume in each shell to see if they are equal.  I weigh random loads anyway.  I then concentrate on seating bullets.  I can go fairly fast using this method, and I've never had a TV load.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »
I seat a bullet while the next load is weighing.  Measure shuts off, pick up a case, pour powder into case and never set it down, set pan back on scale and start next round, inspect level and seat bullet.  To each his own, but I cannot see this being a big safety issue.

When I use a standard manual measure, I do fill all the cases in a tray and inspect before seating the bullets.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
It has been a while since I used mine and I can't remember but I do think I was using it during load work up and I may have been sizing brass but I do think I was seating bullets. I don't think I ever got any errors but I did notice the scale numbers bouncing. It may be that it would work fine If I just did my thing and let it do its. Maybe I just worried too much and didn't give it a fair shake.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »
I seat a bullet while the next load is weighing.  Measure shuts off, pick up a case, pour powder into case and never set it down, set pan back on scale and start next round, inspect level and seat bullet.  To each his own, but I cannot see this being a big safety issue.

When I use a standard manual measure, I do fill all the cases in a tray and inspect before seating the bullets.

I actually do this nearly the same. Do as I say not as I do situation though. I was just saying that the other way is the "safest" way. Charge all cases then visually inspect all before loading. Basically says that in all reloading manuals too! Just trying to make it safe. I set a funnel on my empty case, dispense powder, pour powder in funnel and start the next dispensing. Then while its in "fast" mode, I move the funnel to the next case and then seat my bullet. If a overall length measurement is due I might not catch it right as it finishes but It'll be waiting for me when I'm ready.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
ive got a pact and a lyman. Both on the same bench as my loaders. Only problem i have had with doing it that way is i have to wait till the dispensor starts running before i jar anything operating the presses. Once it starts dispensing the vibration doesnt effect it anymore. Now ive got some pretty sturdy benches and it might not work well with something a bit flimsy.
blue lives matter