Author Topic: Father and son 16 gauges  (Read 837 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Father and son 16 gauges
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
This will be my son's 1st year hunting turkeys so I got him his own 16 gauge Pardner full choke barrel off a forum member here. It locked up perfectly on his frame with youth stocks so he's all set. Mine is a mod choke 16 gauge Topper 88 that I bought locally a while back.

He did a lot of practicing on turkey targets last weekend so I'm confident in his ability at our self imposed limit of 25 yards. Now we just need to find the bird.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Father and son 16 gauges
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »
Best of luck ya, just be sure to have fun even if ya don't get em.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
Definitely, I'm so happy that he likes to hunt that I'll do whatever it takes to make it fun. Last fall he quickly became bored with deer hunting so we hunted squirrels instead. He loved it so much that we forgot about deer and hunted squirrels almost exclusively. I wouldn't trade that experience for the biggest buck on earth.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:38:07 AM »
Nothing wrong with hunting squirrels.  First day of squirrel season is a big event for my son and I.  Even I get bored in a deer stand now and then.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
I had never done much serious squirrel hunting until last season, now I'm hooked and so is my son. I'm looking forward to next season. My son became very interested in hunting once we started hunting squirrels.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:28:24 AM »
Small game is probably the best way to get a budding hunter interested in hunting as a lifetime pursuit. More action holds their interest. When my son was starting out he hunted & I was the guide. I only carried a revolver and he knew he was the shooter. He killed his first deer at 11, but already had killed smaller game.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline gaswamp

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:45:30 AM »
good luck with the 16's...what loads are u using?

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:01:23 AM »

Oh, I can answer that for Doublebass.  1 ounce of number 6's plain and simple plus gets the job done.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:31:21 AM »

Oh, I can answer that for Doublebass.  1 ounce of number 6's plain and simple plus gets the job done.

That's right, that's all you need. I like the plain Jane Federal purple hull game loads. Remington game loads are my 2nd choice.

My son is only 10 and recoil shy so I got him some RST 3/4 oz. loads. They pattern very well out to 25 yards so that will be his range limit.