Author Topic: All excited about reloading supplies  (Read 1480 times)

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
All excited about reloading supplies
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
I meet I guy at Wal Mart last night.  We are both looking at the pathetic supply of ammo.  He tells me of this hole in the wall I've never heard of that has a large supply of powders , bullets and primers.  I drive 45 miles to get there, 30 min to find this little place......they don't have squat and the owner says that's how it has been and will be for the foreseeable future.......what a drag.   Same with all the other LGSs.

Offline Mike in Virginia

Re: All excited about reloading supplies
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »
Ain't that the truth?  I can't find any anywhere, and I'm almost out of all components. 

Offline FPH

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
This was a paramaristic/survivalist shop.  Maybe they did not want to share with strangers.  They did have a lot of ARs and .223.

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
We have a large ammo supply dealer in the Rochester area . They don't have any primers . The problem is GREEDY people buy ammo & reloading supplies up as soon as it comes in then either hoarde it or sell it off at a large profit .
Gander Mt didn't have any primers either .
Semper Fi !

Offline FPH

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
Primers are the only component I can find,,,,,,,no powder or bullets here.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
The little shop I try to buy all my reloading components from is also licensed as an ammo manufacturer.  He makes mostly popular caliber hand gun ammo.  I stop in every week or two to see where things are at with him, he's only open three days a week since the crazy started. He's also quit answering his phone quite a while back since it rings constantly.  He doesn't return messages since there are too many and it would be all he did.  He has had primers and some powder but the powder is hit and miss.  I've been trying to buy .357 bullets from him that he gets from a local caster for over two months.  He'll get 30-50 thousand bullets in at a time and they'll be gone in a day or two.  He told me a couple weeks ago it's worse now than it was in Jan/Feb trying to get components.

I know I'm just as frustrated as everyone else and there are some people buying things to make a profit right now.  Personally I like to make a profit on the stuff I sell so I don't have a problem with it.  If people are willing to pay outrages prices for stuff why not take advantage of them?  I don't suffer fools.

The right to bear arms is an individual right.  What goes with that individual right is the right to hoard ammo and reloading components.  You're frustration should be aimed at your congress critters, and do it politely or they will ignore you.

Here's a cheery note.  There are a couple news stories out the last few days from the ammo/component manufactures.  They have been running at nearly 100% capacity for the last 10 years.  Yep, last 10 years.  Our situation isn't going to get any better any time soon unless politically the anti-gun loons and the media decide they can't gain any ground and back off.  Ironically, everyone watching the whole Boston manhunt helped us out.  Reasonable people who don't own guns watched that mess unfold and thought "having a gun right now and being able to defend my family would make me feel a lot safer."

The powders that are readily available for me are the shotgun powders, namely Blue Dot and Red Dot and Green Dot. .  Google "The Load" for reduced loads in Red Dot and there are several sites with reduced loads for Blue and Green Dot as well as the loading manuals.  My point is you may not be shooting what you want to shoot, but if you get creative you can still shoot.  As for .224 bullets and 22LR....

"What cannot go on forever, won't" said some famous economist.  At some point the crazy is going to end, and most likely with the market becoming a buyers market.  Don't make the same mistake twice.  Once components and ammo become available again at reasonable prices get a plan together to buy extra's that you can weekly, biweekly, or monthly.  Buy a little or a lot consistently.  Get with your buddies and buy in bulk.  It's not any different than having a store of can goods and other supplies ready if the power goes out for an extended period of time.  The anti-gunners are not going away.  Be ready, the mess we're in will happen again.

Good luck!

Offline FPH

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »
I'll keep my eye out for blue and red dot powders.....haven't seen those either.  I'll try anything since about 50 lbs of powder I had was destroyed. 

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
Places near me have started to get some stuff back on the shelves.  There was no unique but both blue and red dots were in stock tonight and there were a lot more dies and some bullets.  Sorry to hear about your bad luck there.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:04:22 AM »
YRUpunting is right on the money! In this day and time, if you don't have ammo and/or components to last you at least a year at your normal rate of shooting, you're not planning very well. This WILL happen again, likely over and over until something bad happens. I don't buy components or ammo to resell, but don't fault those who do. If there were no market for these items at these inflated prices, the prices would go down, plain and simple. If supply returns, buy something every week, or as often as you can, we may need them really bad some day.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 02:28:58 AM »
I would like to buy some 2400 but it is not to be found. I use Red Dot for my 44 Mag and 45 ACP and it works very well. I bought an 8 pound jug of it.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »
Sorry Guys,  I called my supplier yesterday for a brick of LR primers.
They will be here in a couple of days. :)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
The only store within 50 miles of me has an excellent supply of primers, tons of factory ammo, and a good bit of powder.  He has never carried many bullets for some reason.

Offline FPH

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
The only store within 50 miles of me has an excellent supply of primers, tons of factory ammo, and a good bit of powder.  He has never carried many bullets for some reason.

Never thought reloading supplies would give me envious thoughts.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
I use Red Dot for just about everything I reload. an excellent all around powder.

Offline LaDano

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
I have a BassPro a couple miles away from me. They had about 6lbs of reddot and few more. I've never used reddot before, now I'm thinking of trying it out. Any good for 223?
I've been picking up .224 bullets regularly between BP and a couple gunshops. I've got plenty primers but the powder is slowly going down.
Sporter 7X57 Mauser
Sporter 30-06 Mauser
Original M38 6.5X55 Swede
Marlin 30-30
AR-15 .223
AR-15 300aac
Ruger 44 carbine

Offline FPH

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I'd lie to know in what cal.s red dot works for you also......novel idea to me.  Thanks

Offline FPH

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
I have a BassPro a couple miles away from me. They had about 6lbs of reddot and few more. I've never used reddot before, now I'm thinking of trying it out. Any good for 223?
I've been picking up .224 bullets regularly between BP and a couple gunshops. I've got plenty primers but the powder is slowly going down.

Found several recipes using various shotgun powders when I used Googel.....some for .223

Offline FPH

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
Or you might try Google.

Offline tomtomz

• Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of H1000 and Retumbo on the shelves. Hodgdon' s
presence is huge in eastern KS.

I also see H380 everywhere. And H335.

Bullets are coming back, too.

Varget powder or small rifle primers are very rare. H4350 is also rare, but I got lucky.

I'm using different powders and bullets, but  I'm cranking out 30 cal rifle ammo fast and furiously.

Offline tomtomz

• Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
I forgot to mention that Alliant and Vitavouhri powders of all types are in stock in local gun shops.

Go, Europe!

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
One local shop that has been getting a consistant but low quanity of factory ammo also got in some large and small rifle primers. I picked up some small rifle for me and my brother.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline FPH

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:48 AM »
We can get plenty of primers(LGS- we are limited to 300 per day), little to no powder, very few bullets, depends on the cal. for loaded ammo (no .22lr).....pistol  ammo is making a come back(one box per day-.45, .40, 9mm, .32 S&W long).  Spoke with lady at Academy .......she said the same few people are in every MWF to buy up what ammo comes in.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
I went into one of my LGS last week and nearly fainted...his shelves were full of all kinds of powder H110,Lil Gun, 5744,2400,bullseye, 4350,3031 etc. including Varget !! In 1# jugs only. He carries no 5-8# jugs at all. I told him I would take 3 Varget and he said I could only buy 2. He said the day he got it all in a guy came in and wanted to buy all the powder he had. He told him no and said he wanted to be fair to all his customers. Price?  $22.95/lb... the only primers he had was small pistol, but I have several thousand of those so I didn't buy any, but I probably should have...
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »
Around here I had not seen small rifle or small pistol primers in quite a while. They had both Winchester and Remington match small rifle with no limit. I only picked up what my brother and I needed and left plenty for everyone else. They have been limiting their ammo to one box per cartridge on handgun ammo but they got in enough to up that to two boxes. They have been getting 22lr in on a simi-regular basis but I did not need any. I never knew of this store to have reloading supplies And still don't have much but they are trying to get what they can for their customers no powder or bullets though. Now if I could find some small pistol primers and some varget.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline FPH

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
I'm even looking for Red Dot, 2400, or 700x  for my .30s.......no luck on powder. We are limited to 2 boxes of pistol ammo also, but I'm good with all ammo. I'll wait for prices to decrease to replace what I shoot.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
I recently scored 4 boxes of .224 bullets.  1 box 35g V-Max, 2 boxes 40g V-Max and 1 box 52g BTHP match bullets.  I still don't have any 55g bullets but I can get by with the 52's and the lighter bullets frees up the 45g bullets I have on hand for the .223.  All the lighter ones are reserved for my K-Hornet.

Years ago I bought 500 Remington bulk .224 55g SP bullets and I know I only loaded 50 or so but I can't find them and I fear that they were lost in the move.  Talk about sucky...

Tony

Offline FPH

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
Only bullets I have found in months are lead free and the wrong cal. anyway.....7mm.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
are you close to mesquite?
the little store on the square
usually has a decent supply, and
they don't gouge.
last time i was there, i bought some
small peestol primers and it appeared
they had quite a bit of goods for sale.
been a couple of months ago at the
height of the "unpleasantness"
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »
I'm in Oregon and I was lucky to find some at the local BiMart.

Tony