Author Topic: FTF/Light Primer Strikes on my 308 Boomer  (Read 628 times)

Offline Robc10x

• Trade Count: (0)
FTF/Light Primer Strikes on my 308 Boomer
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
Ok hello all! I have been away too long after a brief intro a month or so ago. I have done my homework but can't figure out why my 308 is not firing some ammo while others it's like clockwork. Here's the History. Recently I bought about 1000 rounds of professionally reloaded 308 ammo from a reputable national reloader who will remain anonymous. I have bought and shot their ammo for 6 or 7 years now and never had a hiccup in any caliber, 9, 40, 223, 308, 38, 44, 41, 357 etc.

The rifle is a Sporter in 308 I bought from a pawn shop just a few months ago. With factory ammo, from makers like federal, hornady, American Eagle etc, it fires and is accurate just like any other rifle. But with the "factory" reloads, I am getting light strikes on more than half of the rounds I tried. I have 150gr FMJ and 168gr BTHP's, both of which work flawlessly in bolt guns and ar-10 platforms. The only thing I can think of is that the firing pin spring is weak? or the pin itself is shallow or worn. What I mean is that the reload primers seem to be seated just a few thousands deeper than the factory ammo from the brand name folks. It's frustrating, because I'd like to shoot the reloads to save a little money and make some empty brass for further reloading. I also thought that maybe the Ammo company used a harder primer - like a military primer?The light strikes show a detent in the primer, and I can throw them in a bolt gun and they fire right off. Any ideas?

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: FTF/Light Primer Strikes on my 308 Boomer
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »
Shoulder set too far back.  Sized a bit too small.  The bolt gun has a stronger firing spring, and maybe a longer firing pin.  This, with H&R reaming chambers a bit (?) too deep or oversize, and having weak firing springs, and light strikes anyway does you in.

See my soon to be made post about my nephews .270.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »
Lots on FTF(failure to fire) and misfires in the FAQs sticky, weak hammer springs, bad transfer bars and trigger extensions are right up at the top of the culprits, hard primers, a bad chamber or improperly sized brass can also be at fault.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »
It sounds to me like it's either hard primers, a weak spring, or combination of both.  When I say "weak spring", I mean not stiff enough for the hard primers.  I'm assuming the reloader is a professional and has everything else to spec.  All the other ammo you tried works fine.  The only FTFs I ever had with my Handis were with Wolf primers, military, and Russian ammo.

I used a lot of Belgium made7.62x51 NATO in my Ruger .308 and they all fired, but never tried them in my Handi.  Before I panicked, I'd ask what primer the reloader used.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Bill3006

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 05:07:10 AM »
I've had FTFs when the primer is set too deep. Combine deep primers with the shoulder set too far back and an oversize chamber, and that might be the problem. How do the reloads fit in the chamber compared with the factory ammo that works?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
Bolt guns rarely have issue with weak hammer springs, they are usually over powdered, but they are built that way. The bolt that contains it is robust and the firing pin itself is huge in comparison to the handi. Even the AR platform altho much lower powered then the bolt guns, its much larger than the handi.

A agree with the posters so far. and feel you (all) handi shooters need to replace the main spring with a Wollfe extra power unit. Also I would check your pin protrusion. Many time it too is too short.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Robc10x

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
I appreciate all the input. I did check the faq but with it being intermittent and then just with the reloads had me stumped. I am going to try the wolf spring, and measure the pin when I have it all apart. I'll check the faq for appropriate pin length & protrusion.

I'll send them a note regarding the primers they use, but I don't expect much of a response - ammo makers seem to be working 24/7 right now... I'm hoping that its not a chamber issue. The rounds dont feel any different in the chamber between one maker and another. It's gotta be in the pin/spring area. I'll order a spring up and follow up after I get that done. Thanks again!

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
You want to measure firing pin protrusion with the action together. Ease the hammer down and don't let go of trigger. Firing pin will stay protruded as long as you don't let go of trigger. Take your measurement. I believe the spec is somewhere in the faqs

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
Your looking for about .040 to as much as .065 thousandths protrusion. .040-.050 usually does it for me.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Robc10x

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
Your looking for about .040 to as much as .065 thousandths protrusion. .040-.050 usually does it for me.

CW

I've got .046 so that looks like it's in the range. We'll try the Wolff spring and go from there. Thanks CW.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
I have a Remington/IZH single shot (7.62x39) that will not fire commy military ammo (ammo made for AK's and SKS's) due to hard 'mil-spec' primers.   I did a lot of experimenting with this rifle.  Was not a question of firing pin length.  Second strike would always fire - but then pierce the primer every time.  Commercial and handloads worked fine.  It was all about hammer spring strength/mass.