Author Topic: scope help!!  (Read 1015 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
scope help!!
« on: February 21, 2004, 05:42:39 AM »
I am a poor man itchin for a new scope and have always used the cheap Tasco's so I have no point of reference, so I need some advice...

I am looking at buying a new scope for my deer rifle-Ruger77-.270. Right now it wears a simmons pro hunter 3-9x40 that wont hold zero.
I am considering a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40-$200 or a Leupold VXII or VXIII. I know the leupold warranty is legendary, and I have read that burris is not so great in the warranty dept, but as far as quality goes, is the leupold VXII $100 better than the Burris? and is the VXIII $150 better than the VXII? Is the a noticable difference between these scopes when out in the field?
I have also looked at the Nikon Monarchs and the zeiss conquests, but feel like the leupold warranty is what put Leupold a step above these others...
Thank you

Dave

Offline big6x6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
scope help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 05:51:54 AM »
Leupold is sadly reconsidering their warranty.  For around $200.00 you can't beat a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40 or a Weaver V-9 3-9X38.  I have both and think they are great scopes for the money.  I know a lot of people that are satisfied with the Burris FF-IIs also.  I have three Burris scopes and have had no warranty issues so I can't comment on that.  If I wanted to step up, the Nikon Monarch 3-9X40 is a good one.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
scope help!!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 06:00:40 AM »
If I was on a $200 limit, I would first go with the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40.  Followed by the Nikon Buckmaster and a toss up between the Burris Fullfield II and the Leupold VX-1.  If you are considering the VX-II or VX-III, you will be paying more than your $200.00.  If you can come up with more than your $200, than I would highly recommend the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
scope help!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 06:08:08 AM »
I'm not on a $200 limit, I was just wonering if the extra $$ for the leupolds was worth it??

I keep hearing more good things about the Nikon, hmmmmmmm

What is their warranty like??

Offline Dave in WV

scope help!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 08:52:54 AM »
Dave, my son is very pleased with his Nikon Monarch 3x9. He also has a 2.5x8 VX III he likes but has said more than once for $150 less he'd take the Nikon. Since both the new VX2 and the Monarch have the fast focus the only difference is the eye relief of which the Leupold has the most.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
scope help!!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 09:58:56 AM »
If you are going to spend an extra 150 buy an elite 4200. It is brighter and more durable than the leupold and it has the Bushnell raingaurd coating on it. Also Bushnell does have an excellent limited lifetime warrenty on there scopes. They will fix it with almost no questions asked short of it looking like its been run over buy a truck.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
scope help!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 10:06:59 AM »
The Leupold Rifleman is starting at $179 at Cabelas if you want in on the Leupold club at a reasonable price.  If not, then I would recommend the Bushnell 3200 or 4200 Elite...Great light transmission and they both have the aforementioned Rainguard lens coating...Good luck in whatever you choose.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
scope help!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 02:35:08 AM »
The Nikon's have a Lifetime Full Warranty, no matter of ownership.  I believe that the Nikon has a better warranty than the Bushnell's.  Bushnell requires you to send $10 for shipping, Nikon does not.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
scope help!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 04:01:22 AM »
I have the same rifle with a vari-x III 2.5-8 scope and for many years it has performed flawlessly. IMHO none better for that rifle and caliber for hunting.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
scope help!!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 02:15:37 AM »
"They will fix it with almost no questions asked short of it looking like its been run over buy a truck."

I beg to differ here.  Although their warranty work is GENERALLY okay, my WORST experience was with Bushnell.  It seems to depend on which side of the bed they wake up on.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline brramer

trade in your old redfield
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 01:54:57 PM »
You can trade in an old redfield scope in any condition and receive a weaver grand slam for $165.00.  We compared a Grand slam to a Leupold vari x III and hands down the GS was clearer and brighter.

I am a die hard leupold guy but that grand slam has some great glass.
My redfield is boxed and ready to go to weaver.

Go compare the grand slam to the vari X III.  You will be amazed.

Offline skoutfitter

scope help!!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 03:17:18 PM »
FYI for those of you who like the glass in the Weaver Grand Slams.  I spoke with one of Weaver's engineers and was told that the Classic line etc. all use the same fully coated glass.  I compared my scopes Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell Burris, Sightron and Weaver with the Weaver V24 showing the most detail and being the brightest.  I should also add that the Weaver and the Elite were the only scopes that did not have foreign matter in them (dust etc.) seen through the objective lens with a flashlight.  Yes that includes the Leupold VX III as well.  You would think for all the money these scopes cost they would be free of contamination but it is simply not the case.
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline HoCoMDHunter

• Avid Poster
scope help!!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 04:05:06 PM »
Quote from: TheOpticZone
The Nikon's have a Lifetime Full Warranty, no matter of ownership.  I believe that the Nikon has a better warranty than the Bushnell's.  Bushnell requires you to send $10 for shipping, Nikon does not.

There are ne fees associated with the Bushnell Elite series.  Those fees only apply to their other models.   http://www.bushnell.com/support/repair.html
Doin' my best to keep up with Maryland's one handgun a month law.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
scope help!!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 03:15:37 AM »
Bushnell must have changed their policy on the Elite series for 2004, because we have send some back for warranty work and were charged the $10.00.  Way to go Bushnell!!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline ar15a292f

scope help!!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 06:40:50 AM »
I am a great fan of Burris scopes, but if there was a way I could spend $50 dollars more, I would get a Weaver Grandslam before I got the Burris Fullfield for $200.  I think that the Grandslam compares very well with the Leupold Vari-IIIX and the Burris Signature series.

Offline Zachary

scope help!!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 12:10:17 PM »
Quote from: lubbockdave
I'm not on a $200 limit, I was just wonering if the extra $$ for the leupolds was worth it??

I keep hearing more good things about the Nikon, hmmmmmmm

What is their warranty like??

Over the past years, I have purchased about 8 Nikon scopes.  I have never had any fail - every single one of them has been perfect!

My favorite is the Monarch 3x-9x-40mm.  For the money, you simply can't find a better scope.  I think that the optic zone sells them for around $255 or so.  I had it mounted on a 7mm Rem Mag and it tracked and held zero very, VERY well - like I said - flawless.

The Elite 4200 2.5x-10x-40mm is also a great scope, and perhaps a bit better, but I think they are in the $300 range.

Yea, the Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm is just a super scope for $250 or so.

Zachary