Author Topic: Bunch of questions.  (Read 672 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Bunch of questions.
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
I am about to start reloading for my first single shot. A Browning H/W in 22-250. I've stocked up on H380 but will have to use the on hand 50gr. SP bullets. No 55gr available. My questions are, how many have found loading up against the lands helpful,(if bullet will reach) or is it a trial and error deal? Are you using a crimp for your rounds or is neck tension creating a low deviation and clean burn with this powder?
What range of bullet sizes have you had luck with?
Asking a lot of info here, but I am  looking forward to experimenting with both this rifle and cartridge, it has shown a lot of potential with factory loads.
 Thanks for any experiance.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Bunch of questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I'm not as experienced at handloading as some here..and perhaps it's for that reason I avoid loading up against the lands..fears of pressure spike.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jleem66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Start at loading manual AOL and work your way longer. Also start with minimum load and work up with each length increase. You'll probably find a happy combination in there somewhere. I have found it helpful to keep good notes on each combination.
Jimmy

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:08:08 AM »
I am about to start reloading for my first single shot. A Browning H/W in 22-250. I've stocked up on H380 but will have to use the on hand 50gr. SP bullets. No 55gr available. My questions are, how many have found loading up against the lands helpful,(if bullet will reach) or is it a trial and error deal? Are you using a crimp for your rounds or is neck tension creating a low deviation and clean burn with this powder?

1.  I try to get jacketed lead bullets as close to the lands as possible without actually touching the lands.  For monometal bullets like Barnes bullets, I let them jump a bit to the lands.

2.  You don't need to crimp 22-250 cartridges.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:58 AM »
Start out with the recommended maximum COL.  Start out with recommended minimum load.  Work up in load at recommended maximum COL.  Find the "Sweet Spot" in load development at max COL. 

Then, and only then, make the COL long(er).  Start COL lengthening by touching lands minus 0.002" and work away from lands in 0.002" increments with the identified "sweet spot" load.  You will find a length at that load which tightens up nicely, if there is just one.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:44 AM »
I do not crimp unless necessary. What is necessary? In a semi-auto pistol, a lever action rifle, revolvers and heavy recoiling bolt actions. I also think that crimping is a good idea for ammo that absolutely must function, such as a once in a life time hunt or hunting dangerous game. For varmint shooting or target use, i do not use a crimp, in fact I avoid it when ever possible. I have converted several of my center fire bolt guns to single shots or load them one at a time.

I start out load development with jacked lead bullets about .020" off the lands. Once I find the best load for my particular rifle, I then experiment with the bullets at different distances from the lands to fine tune the load to find the best accuracy.

There are many things you can do to effect accuracy, but being as consistent as possible is probably the most effective way to influence accuracy. By consistent, I mean do it the same each and every time. If you are going to crimp, make sure each case is exactly the same length, so the crimp strength is the same each time. That is why I do not crimp, if I can help it, just one more thing not to worry about. Neck tension should be exactly the same for each case, so I load in lots and anneal necks when they start getting work hardened. Seat the primers the same each and every time. Seat bullets as straight as possible. These are just a few concerns of making a tight group...the list goes on and on I am talking just the loaded ammo, the rifleman needs to be as consistent as possible to make tiny groups. That is a whole 'nother story.

Bottom line... do not crimp unless you have to...You just have to find what works best in your rifle as far as bullet seating is concerned. I just want to add, that some rifles shoot best dirty and some like the bore to be squeaky clean and still other like it some where between.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 01:05:03 AM »
Thanks guys! H380 is a new powder to me and not using a crimp left me with guestions about complete burn and deviation that I have found in some other powders. Is this the powder most used? Brass life will certainly be longer with just use of neck tension. Grumulkin, thanks for the OAL info. That is what I was looking for. I got the new hydrolic hoses in the back hoe yesterday and plan on a bit of time at the bench reloading today.  You would thind that retirement would give you more time, not less! With the scarsity and high cost of components, it is really nice having a resource for information. Any pet loads your willing to share?