Author Topic: you think i should camo my 10ga turkey gun?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
you think i should camo my 10ga turkey gun?
« on: February 21, 2004, 10:58:48 AM »

well what do you think?i have the spray paint but i dont know if i want to do it or not.give me some ideas and some pictures of your guns.i would lke to see some camo guns that were done with spray cans.
please and thankyou

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 11:31:46 AM »
jeff<----- i would leave it alone.  if you are going to do anything i might take the stocks off and do them, but i would not paint the gun. they do make some very good barrel wrap now. that does come off when you want to take it off.  that is what i would put on my gun. but if you paint the gun, IE: the metal parts. you wont ever get it off, even if you want to. so maybe the wood, but i would leave the metal alone.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
Flat Black is Flat Black... If there's no glare no problem... Like VC said if ya wanna do the stock, opt for the camo laminate... That's my $.02 MTNMAN :grin:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 02:55:28 PM »
I just throw a camo sock over my 10GA...I have looked at the Ozark Snake Skins that Cabelas has in their 2004 Shooting catalog but I didn't purchase any yet.  Mostly because I have never heard any reports on their use.  I used to just use the cloth camo tape and wrap the barrel for the turkey season and then unwrap and clean it at the end.  No problems...I would shy away from the camo paint...

But that's just my  :money:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 01:37:35 AM »
Spray away. I did one a couple years ago and didn't like it. I used the "dads" paint remover and it will take it all off no problem. Use gloves and eye protecion if you ever mess with dad's it is really harsh stuff. It will take off what ever finish is under you paint job too.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 02:02:53 AM »
I might 'spray bomb' a set of stocks but I would not do the metal parts unless their finish was already in very poor condition (worn or rusted beyond saving with 000 steel wool and cold blueing solutions).  If that is the case Brownells (sp?) has some 'spay & bake' finishes that are reported to not chip or scratch as easely as regular spray paint.  I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to guns - IMO gun metal looks best blue or black, sometimes stainless or nickel is okay depending on the type of gun.   :cb2:

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 07:14:16 AM »
What I plan on doing if I ever find some is hot glue on some plastic 3d cammo leaves.  Heck, I should go to the craft store, it'd probably be alot cheaper.  Anyway, I think a couple dozen leaves hot glued on (or however you're supposed to attach them) would really hide the shotgun's silloette, making it look like a leafy branch.  Then I'll remove them before pheasant season starts next fall.  But for coyotes this summer, hmmm, might be a good addition to my cammo.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 11:26:52 AM »
Hmmm, you could bringing new meaning to the term  "brush gun" Scruffy.
Don't forget to streak the barrel with gray paint to simulate tree bark before attaching the leaves.  Will you be changeing the color of your leaves from week to week to sincronize with the changeing fall foliage?  :P

Brett

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 02:49:10 PM »
He Brett, I could use red leaves in the fall to simulate poison ivy!  :)

Oh, I'm itching just thinking about that!

Thanks for the gray paint tip.  I'll have to find some peel off grey paint or sticker to use.   :-)

The more I entertain the idea of putting some leaves on my gun the more I like it.  Some leaves hanging off the sides and bottom of the barrel and off the sides of the reciever.  Some leaves also on my gloves and hat.  It should really affect my silloette.

Hmmmmm.  Only a couple months till turkey time!!!

later,
scruffy

Offline Brett

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 06:25:56 AM »
Scruffy, if you are serious about doing a 3D camouflage job (and you want more than a cammo gun sock) may I suggest using rubberbands to attach real or artificial branches & leaves.  It will make removal and or adjustments a whole lot easier than hot melt glue.  :wink:  

Oh and don't forget a full blown head to toe Ghillie suit for yourself.  Chech out this link, http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=59082 it is just what you are looking for .   About halfway down the page they show a gun in full "Ghillie-flage'.  :eek:  Now you have me thinking about it.   :lol:  

Brett

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 06:43:41 AM »
Sounds like you may take to the woods looking somewhat like a Big Foot...That could account for some sightings...Look, there is a real hairy looking creature carrying a sapling with red leaves... :drink4:

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 08:10:47 AM »
I've never hunted in a full ghillie suit, but I have paint balled with one.  I've sat in the shadows and had people almost step on me while letting a small "enemy" group walk by and then shooting them all in the back.  

Hey, all's fair in love and paintball.

Dang it!  I started off thinking I wanted a few leaves to break up the shotguns silloette, now I want the whole deal.

Thanks alot Brett!   :wink:

later,
scruffy

Offline Brett

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 12:17:44 PM »
Scruffy, you started this you scoundrel.  Now you've got me wanting one.   That same web site also has a Ghillie suit that just covers you from your head down to your waist for $36, (for members) $40 if your not a member.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97097

I may do that.  Your most likely going to be hunckered down behind a log or bush when your turkey hunting anyway not standing up.  

Dang you and your bright ideas Scuffy.  :x   :wink:

Brett

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 04:21:31 AM »
Sorry Brett, my bad.  :wink:  

But oh man, waist length!  That would be perfect, you could still cross fenses, get in and out of your truck, etc, etc.  Count me down for one!  8)

I'll take a look at the sight listed and talk to a few of my hunting buddies, maybe they'll want one also.  No point in me being all hidden and the guy next to me not...

Now, how'd we go from where Jeff started this to me spending money???  :)

later,
scruffy

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 07:49:34 AM »
You'd look a little funny driving your truck with a gillie suit on.  Just make sure that you aren't wearing a gillie hat or you would look really disturbing.  Also you want to keep that material out of your eyes.  The medics would have a field day trying to cut that suit off you if you were to get into an accident.  
 :gulp:  :gulp:

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 07:59:21 AM »
You turkey hunted a couple hours early in the morning.
You get in your truck to drive to a different spot.
Along the way you drive up to the McDonalds drive up window and ask for an egg McMuffin?  :shock:  :-D

Yea, I'm gonna have to do that!   :)

later,
scruffy

Offline Brett

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 02:59:20 PM »
Look ma.... there's a bush driving that truck!!!  :eek:  

That would be a real hoot!!  :lol:

Dang it, now I realy want one!  :D

Brett

Offline ranger730

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 03:54:14 PM »
flat black dont have much glare and paint'en it dont change how it shoots ,me I'd leave her just like it is and just wanted to ask never shot a 10 ga. Ive shot 12's whats the recoil like Been looking for one but nobody around here has one looks like it would be a KICK to shoot.

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004, 05:45:17 PM »
ranger730...
The ten gauge is a blast to shoot. Not only does it kick, it is LOUD. Especially with the 24" barrel.   I'm 41 and I have shot a lot of different guns, but the hardest kicking gun I've ever shot was a 12ga S&W pump with 18" imp. cyl. that I owned about 15 yrs ago. This gun would HURT like hell. I think it was about 6 1/2 to 7lbs which is why it kicked so hard. I don't even want to shoot the NEF 12ga turkey gun.  It shoots a 3 1/2 shell and weighs only 6lbs :shock:   This gun has to be BRUTAL.  The 10ga turkey gun weighs 9lbs which definitely helps on recoil.  If you ever get a chance to shoot a 10ga go for it, you won't be sorry. I must warn you though, once you shoot one, you WILL want one :lol:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"