Author Topic: $4.99 Peep Sight  (Read 697 times)

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
$4.99 Peep Sight
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »
I have two 45-70 barrels that shoot particularly well on one receiver.  One is scoped and the other is dedicated for a peep sight.  These barrels have the Williams rear sight with the sliding ramp.  Midway sells a peep sight for this base for $4.99.  I purchased one as a backup in case I lost the one on my Marlin 1895 with the Ace-in-the-Hole setup. 
I tried it on my dedicated peep sight barrel, replacing the factory leaf sight.  It works really well.  I am in my 60s and am hitting beer cans at 65 yards with this thing using the factory front sight. I purchased a couple more, and have one on my scope sighted barrel now as a backup. 
If anyone is looking for a peep sight or backup for a scoped barrel, you may want to consider this, especially if you may be uncertain if you want to use a peep or not.  It is a heck of a lot cheeper than a new Williams or a Skinner that goes in the scope mounting holes. The sight is not in the traditional place close to the receiver, but it sure works for me. 

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: $4.99 Peep Sight
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
I ordered the "ghost ring" for the sights on my .45-70 handi before i even shot it. turns out mine came with the wrong front sight! so tall point of impact is in the dirt at 100 yards! put the factory blade on and same problem. with the rear sight elevated all the way up still shoots about 2 feet low at 100. I put a scope on this barrel and will go shoot it to see whats up with it set that way. after i verify it can shoot straight i will then begin filing the front sight down to get proper elevation. Also have concerns with the chamber and bore of this rifle. will be slugging the bore and chamber casting to see whats up in there. I want to be able to shoot plain based 405 grain bullets at slow to medium speeds accurately out to 100 yards. more would be great but i will be happy with at least 100 using the ghost ring.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:21:05 AM »
on my 45/70, I put a peep on the barrel mounted Williams ramp.

I have to remove the peep, and go "Ghost Ring" for hunting, but it is fast and works well, and allows a scope base to be placed quickly if needed without moving the sights.

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »
My peep sight barrel is sighted in for 405 grain cast bullets at about 1200 fps.  This is my general purpose critter load for around the place.  It is very accurate and the recoil is low.