Author Topic: What's the difference between these two types of dies?  (Read 702 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
What's the difference between these two types of dies?
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
I was browsing the Brownell's web site, and I noticed that in addition to standard RCBS 223 F/L die sets.  They also carry: RCBS AR SERIES DIE SET 223 REM , and the RCBS X-Die Small Base Die Set 223 Rem

I know the X-Die set is a small base die set, but what is the AR series die set?  Are these also small bases dies, if so, what is the difference, and why the difference in price?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: What's the difference between these two types of dies?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
X-dies are not small base sizing dies, they are more of a neck sizer. I would imagine the AR dies are a small base die set to insure cycling.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »
X-dies are not small base sizing dies, they are more of a neck sizer. I would imagine the AR dies are a small base die set to insure cycling.
That's what I thought, until I saw the description.  RCBS X-Die Small Base Die Set 223 Rem
 It specifically states: Small Base Die Set.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
Maybe its a special X Die. the X-die I have for my 7mag is not SB. I had to buy that separately. Maybe I'm just not well informed. :)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
A quick call to RCBS will give you the correct answer.

Tony

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »
my guess is it comes with a crimp die.
blue lives matter

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:04:54 AM »
I took geezerbikers advice and gave a call to RCBS. 

I was told that both die sets are small base dies, but the AR series die set has a taper crimp seater.  The X-Die series has a regular seater die, but RCBS claims that you don't have to trim the brass because it has a special sizer die.