Author Topic: Idle question...  (Read 469 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Idle question...
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
Has anyone profiled the top of an SB2 receiver and barrel similar to the old 158s?  Milling machine job?  Just asking...

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Idle question...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
I can't tell you for sure if you can do that.   You'd likely have to remover the forearm stud, turn down the barrel, then fasten the stud back on some way.  You could always just shorten up the barrel to lighten the gun, but a slimmer profile is what I would prefer myself.  I do know that I absolutely love my 158 Topper 30-30!  It's a great shooter, but more than that, it's the light weight and slim profile of the barrel assy.  It was my first Handy and I may not have gotten so hooked if I had bought one of the newer, heavier profile guns as my first.  I did find another 30-30 shortly after I bought the Topper and when I handled it, I thought it very heavy compared to the old one.  I passed on buying it for that reason alone.  Now I wish I had spent the $125 and used it for a 30-30AI.  Anyway, H&R would do well to lighten up the profile.  I know we have the Superlights of which I have a 7-08 which I love, but even that has a heavier profile than it needs.  I like ALL my guns, be they pistol or rifle, to be light and 'handy' and I am much less enamored of a heavy single shot rifle that I am of one that feels light in my hands.  I have a friend that has a custom built 7-30 waters on a Martini action and it is so sweet!  I don't think it weights over 4 1/2, maybe 5 pounds even with it's custom grade A stock and Burris scope.  Now that's the way to make a light and handy single shot.  I wish H&R would follow that lead and lighten up the whole line (except for the heavier kicking calibers) a bit.  I'd certainly consider turning down the barrel on one if I were you and had access to the proper machines to do so.  Hope you can come up with a way to lighten up your gun, please let us know how it comes out if you do.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:40 AM »
Profiling a Handi Barrel is possible. It can be done on a metal lathe. With the proper setup and tooling it is not that big of a job.The setup is straightforward figure the taper you need and adjust the taper attachment/cutting angle/tail stock.The tooling will require a follower rest for chatter free cutting. When the barrel is to desired taper, it is polished to desired finish or bead blasted if a matte finish is desired.
 The forearm attachment lug can the be welded to the barrel using a MiG or TiG  procedure.
 It can also be done on a smaller "home hobbyist" lathe but it will take a lot of time, skill, and patience.
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
I think rdlange is talking about the stepped breech area over the chamber, not the barrel diameter....

Yes/No??