Author Topic: Range Report_The "sawed off" project  (Read 1636 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Range Report_The "sawed off" project
« on: February 21, 2004, 01:23:40 PM »
Finally got to the range today for about an hour with my Pardner 12 ga. that I had clipped off to 23" removing all  the choke. I had 9 slugs with me - 4 Federal Classic 2 3/4" and 5 Federal Power Shock 2 3/4". I set up 35 yd. out and from the offhand position, bead only for sight, was able to get a 2 shot_4 in. group with the Classics. It did not like the Power Shocks too well, go figure. Fly right, fly left, did have one manage to get to POA, but I'll leave them alone from now on. Since the Classics were doing POA at 35 yd. I stepped back to 50 yd. to see what one would do. POI was 9 1/2" below POA. So I guess this gun will be just as I figured it would be and what I actually wanted, a close in brush gun. I did fire shot shells also. #8 and #7 cheap stuff at 25yd. put out a 36 to 40" pattern. Not bad I figure but there was no center of pattern really. #6 Rem. Heavy Dove put out a 34" pattern at 25yd. with a faintly noticable COP. I'm interested to see what it will do with 00Buck or maybe some #2.

Here's the best part - I filled the bolt hole in the stock with #6 shot from exactly one box of cheap Rem. ammo. Filled it perfectly with just enough room to add a couple peices of napkin to pressure it down when the plastic recoil pad was reattached. I also purchased a shell carrier for the stock, the kind that slips over and holds 5 shells. I put 4 - 3" Mag slugs and 1 -#6 Heavy Dove in it. Then added one of the $9.99 slip over recoil pads from Wally World. My reciever now weighs approx. 4-5 lbs. After firing 9 slugs in about 40 minutes, my shoulder is still in good shape. I had quite a bit of barrel lift before adding the weight to the stock but it was remedied, I still may add a little balance weight to the foreend tho, it now centers just behind the trigger.

I may add a scope later but for now I'll just stay with the bead only. Don't think I need more than that for now and for what I intend this gun for anyway.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Range Report_The "sawed off" proj
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 03:05:03 AM »
like2hunt, congratulations on your makeover. I really like my 45-70 for thick woods hunting in Maine but after carrying a shortbarreled 12 Gauge for so many years in my cruiser and betting my life on it a couple of times (worked both times too and without firing a shot!!!, what an intimidation factor!!!) I am partial to them for the really heavy going. I have even used my old issue (when I still had it)  Model 870 18" bead and later rifle sighted 12 gauge to take a couple of deer while hunting as well as dispatching quite a few injured deer on the roadways and highways.  I have found the Federal Classics in 2 3/4 inch are more than enough out to any range I have shot them, max 75 yards in qualification and 100 yards for myself. They also have proven the most accurate for me. Others may like different brands but the Federals get my vote.  I do not see the need for the 3 and 3.5" magnums when deer hunting. As a close quarters, thick woods deer gun out to 40-50 yards as you mentioned the 12 gauge has no peer!!! Try some 000 Buck if you are partial to buckshot where you live and hunt, a real knock down load and usually patterns better than 00....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Range Report_The "sawed off" proj
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 01:26:23 PM »
i am glad it worked out well for you. you wont find a meaner brush gun for the thick stuff then a 12ga. i dont care if its 000 buckshot, or a slug. i dont think there is much else out there that has that kind of knock down for close range. the 45-70 is a great brush gun too, but alot more money to set one up. if you go with a scope, or rifle sights, you can get 100 yrds out of a slug gun, and it will know down almost anything under 100 yrds. if you want to spend a little more for you slugs, go try the brenneke slugs. they make some of the best slugs out there. heres the address.  www.brenneke.com  they are better then the remington cheap stuff, but still wont break the bank like alot of sabots will.  they make slugs for both smoothbore, and rifled barrels, so if you want to try some new ammo, give this stuff a try.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!