Author Topic: unhappy with drop of stock  (Read 525 times)

Offline Kart29

• Trade Count: (0)
unhappy with drop of stock
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »
I have an H&R Topper model 098 and am unhappy with the stock fit.  I find that strange because I've never really noticed a problem with an off the shelf shotgun stock.  I'm not a very big man, only about 5' 10" but I find the amount of drop in the butt stock to be insufficient.  When I shoulder the gun normally my line of sight is far above the top of the barrel.  To get my eye down to line up with the top of the barrel I have to pull my head way back on the stock and consciously pull it down to see along the top of the barrel to the bead.  I think this would definitely be a problem were I to try to use this shotgun for wingshooting.
Are there any different stock styles for these shotguns?  I have a .223 on an SB2 receiver also that has the high comb for use with a scope.  That stock works great for me on the rifle but of course would be very unpleasant to use with a shotgun barrel.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: unhappy with drop of stock
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »
I would start out using the stock as is to fire a couple patterns at say 40 yards, and see where the pattern is centered, as the position of your eye when the gun is shouldered is basically the rear sight.  If needed, a fine wood rasp can be used to lower the comb until the gun is patterning dead center with a normal field shooting position.  A little sand paper, and some new stock finish should get you set to go.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:29:56 AM »
Short of a replacement stock you could try just shaping it lower.  Couldn't go too far but you could cut it down  some.  I shape all of mine since I don't care for the squarish boxy feel of H&R stocks at all.  Just use a 3 1/2 x 9 power sander with a course grit to shape and finish with several smaller grits.  Here is my 20 gauge.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 07:47:55 AM »
BigEasy is right, ya gotta shoot it as in shoot it like you would be birdshooting to know where it will actually throw the pattern. All of mine require seeing barrel at the breech, if I just look down the barrel (kinda like 'sighting' down the barrel top) I dont have enough elevation.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974