Author Topic: Bit the bullet today...  (Read 1288 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Bit the bullet today...
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
I have owned a Savage 23b for about twenty years now.

A couple years ago I needed a good close to med range Coyote rifle. I took the 23. Only problem was the open sites and lo light... they are not so good and I dont see as well as I once did either... I wanted to mount a scope... BUT as no bases are made and I am not willing to cut up the stock to fit a side mount... I cheated... I used the #12 screw that was tapped from the factory, I drilled a small base and screwed a single base to the back of the receiver. I used a single ring and a small Adco red dot.

Well I have a need for the red dot on another project. I have been drilling and tapping allot since shelfing the idea of scope mounting the Savage. SO, I pulled it out this AM and pulled off the red dot.

I found that a Rem 760 Weaver base fit the smallish action very well. Those who know this action, know that the factory had a peep that used that big screw along with a small 6/36 hole. I re threaded the small hole to 6/40 simply with running a 6/40 tap thru it. Then I bolted down the base and marked the other three holes. I was lucky that the holes fell nicely. Three holes where cake, tapping was easy too as the action was fairly soft. I found good screws and cut them to length, cleaned the holes and action of oil and burrs and lock tited everything together.

Using a old set of Weaver rings and a VXI 2x7 scope I mounted it. Looks great I think!

Then I broke a part.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[   I broke the standing ejector/magazine ''clip''. Its a thin piece of steel that accepts a protrusion in the magazine, holding it in place. I am gonna weld it back together in the AM. I have to set the welder up for such thin stuff. Kinda a hasle for a 1/4'' of weld...  ::) ::) But I am the dumb ass that broke it.

I am now thinking I may refinish the stocks... The Sheridan and Sams Marlin set came out real good and I am kinda in the zone for refinishing wood...

This is the broken parts, I would just buy new... but who knows if I would ever find it!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: Bit the bullet today...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »
Thinkin Numrich has the part. I'm kinda a fan of the Models 23 in all calibers. The only issue is the one piece receiver and barrel. If you buy one and it has excessive headspace,your troubles begin.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
Thinkin Numrich has the part. I'm kinda a fan of the Models 23 in all calibers. The only issue is the one piece receiver and barrel. If you buy one and it has excessive headspace,your troubles begin.

Thanks brother!

I searched on line and aside from a guy on 24campfire I find nothing but ''obsolete''...  I PMd the guy on 24 but his posting was about a year ago..

BUT, I decided its already broke, so I loaded up the MIG with .025 wire and ran a couple beads on some thin stock. I made up a jig to hold the part and put three spot welded on the pieces.

Its not too pretty, but its solid and there is nearly zero pressure on this part. So I think I am back in business!

I also decided to refinish the stock. That Leupold is gonna look even better on nice finished walnut!

BEFORE:

Sanded and stained. The wood was very ''yellow'' and I did not like the color. I usually don't stain, I like the natural colors. But was worried... So I gave it a dyluded wipe down with some Minwax Provincial.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
If you want a dark color,ordinary shoe or leather dye works great, and pretty cheap as well.Your item looks good. I would like a 23 in 32-20 or 25-20.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Nice little project! It makes the rifle a little more personal. BTW nice work and what is the cartridge it is chambered for?

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
Thank you sir!!

Its a 23b, chambered in 25-20!  GREAT shooter too!!  ::) ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
Looks like I never finished this post!!  :o >:(  SHAME on me!!

Its not near as pretty as others, but much better than it was in its near neglected state.  ::) ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
Nice job CW.  I suppose you could cold blue the welded part?

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491