Author Topic: Pardner Pump (Norinco) Yes, M1A and SKS, No?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pardner Pump (Norinco) Yes, M1A and SKS, No?
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
What's the story on import Chinese firearms?

I was digging around for various things and find that Norinco arms are available in China but not here. Yet the Pardner Pump is a Norinco, true?

So is it just "Chinese Guns that Look Dangerous" that are banned?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Pardner Pump (Norinco) Yes, M1A and SKS, No?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:34:46 AM »
The ban applies to rifles, not shotguns, to quote an email reply from H&R...."US law does not allow rifles or rifle parts to come from China."

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
The ban applies to rifles, not shotguns, to quote an email reply from H&R...."US law does not allow rifles or rifle parts to come from China."

Tim

Hmm... that a shame. Much as I'd rather by American, a $200 Canadian SKS, new in box is hard to ignore, or the M1A's they make.

But then that's the whole problem U.S. industry faces...  US workers need wages that will pay US living costs... so they can only cut so far. 

Until wages for the same work are the same everywhere, (and living costs), it's going to be hard to keep offshore companies from beating us on the price equation.

In the mean time the US worker get caught in the double whammy of having to pay U.S. retail prices and compete with world labor market rates.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
Welcome to the world of  'free trade.'  I think we may have been a stronger county with import tariffs on foreign goods.  Certainly protected skilled jobs from being outsourced.  I think we lost more than other countries did. The restrictions on Chinese rifles still surprises me - given that they own the largest share of our federal debt.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
Welcome to the world of  'free trade.'  I think we may have been a stronger county with import tariffs on foreign goods.  Certainly protected skilled jobs from being outsourced.  I think we lost more than other countries did. The restrictions on Chinese rifles still surprises me - given that they own the largest share of our federal debt.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Perhaps the domestic gun makers have some pull? Yet there are plenty of other foreign makes coming in, and flat out communist marked Mosins at every Big 5.

So I don't get the angle on the Norinco rifles at all.

Offline hardalada

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 02:08:36 AM »
IIRC, in 1993 Norinco was specifically banned for allegedly attempting to export fully auto assault type weapons to Los Angeles gangs. Whether this was a good idea or not is, of course, debatable. But therein lies the rub...it would take another presidential order to rescind..and that is unlikely to happen any time soon????

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:39:12 AM »
IIRC, in 1993 Norinco was specifically banned for allegedly attempting to export fully auto assault type weapons to Los Angeles gangs. Whether this was a good idea or not is, of course, debatable. But therein lies the rub...it would take another presidential order to rescind..and that is unlikely to happen any time soon? ???

They did not attempt to, they did import them and some were sold. Most were recovered, but some slipped through the cracks.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »

Tim

How does that affect the claims that most of the New Springfield's are built from Chinese parts ? 
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
Dunno, you'd have to ask someone that knows, I only asked specifically about H&R rifles being made in PRC when chicken littles were concerned about the acquisition of H&R/Marlin by Remington in 2008. I suspect it may only apply to major components as listed in the ITAR munitions list, barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) and complete breech mechanisms.

Tim 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
So much poor info is out there. Some claim barrels etc .
Thanks
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
My info on the PRC rifle question came direct from Tim Looney, he was the H&R/Marlin Marketing Manager at the time, the ITAR info is available online, there's a sticky on Importing/Exporting firearms parts with source document links in the H&R Classifieds.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,271206.msg1099631058.html#msg1099631058