Author Topic: Case weight and accuracy  (Read 709 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Case weight and accuracy
« on: February 21, 2004, 08:40:20 PM »
For a mail in contest, I'd decided to weigh my .223 brass to cull out the oddballs.  I have read a bit on this step but never done it.

My cases seem to be all over the place, weight wise.  I know this affects pressure, due to heavy case being thicker, thus more pressure.  But can anyone tell me how much difference is too much?

If my average case weighs 90gr then what should the high and low weights be within?

Also, any suggested good reading online?

Any good books out there especially for the 223?

Thanks.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
case weight
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »
Handirifle:

I try to keep all of mine within + or - 1 grain.It's a pain but it seems to help me and  my reloads.I have several little batches of various weights,but I keep those as well within the 1 grain difference.If you have access to a chronoghraph do some testing and you'll see just how much difference it will make with your velocity spreads.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Case weight and accuracy
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 08:34:01 AM »
handirifle,
  I never tried it myself, length yes, weight no. I sort of figure when all else has been tried, and still no results, I'd give it a toss.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Case weight and accuracy
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 03:45:20 PM »
The real pain of all this is I only have an RCBS balance type scale to work with.

I have a real dumb question.  I have been reloading for MANY years and this thought has never really crossed my mind till now but on the RCBS scale the movable weight increments are obvious and I fully understand the rotating grain and tenths adjuster on the right.  Lets say the scale is zeroed at 90gr.

I place a case in the pan and the pointer goes one mark above the centerline.

If it is one mark above the centerline on the scale to the left (the one the pointer is pointing at) how much of a variance is that?  I do not have the original instructions for that scale.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!