Author Topic: Trigger  (Read 523 times)

Offline bamaboy13

• Trade Count: (0)
Trigger
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
Hey, I have a question about my trigger, After being frustrated over the ridiculous prices of the new 300ACC's, I picked up my 1st (a .308) second hand off Gun Broker, It was already set up with an ATI collapsible stock set, sling, hammer extension, & a bi-pod. Looks like someone put some love into it. I didn’t get any "pedigree" on it. But the trigger seems pretty crisp with no creep, I don't have trigger scales, but it is heavier than, say my 10/22, but not too bad. Do these always have stock triggers with grainy creep and heavy pull weight? (That seems to be the common gripe) Or do you think it's had work done?

Offline bucco921

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Re: Trigger
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
I have 8 handi frames. Only one has a heavy,not very smooth,trigger. Yours may have done work but without confirming with the seller you will never know. I assume you heard the trigger "gripe" from other site on the web. Problem is that most people saying they have bad triggers have never owned one. Ive gone round and round with people about it. As soon someone sees my handi's I know some dumb comment about triggers is coming....ignorance is bliss I guess.

Offline bamaboy13

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
I suppose I can pull the trigger out and look to see if it has been cleaned up and polished. I think while my barrel is away ( being cut, crowned, & threaded) I will go ahead and send it in to be fitted for a another barrel or 2, and ask for H&R to do their trigger job. Anyone with that experience got any tips  ???

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:36:43 AM »
I've never had a serious trigger problem, but I'm sneaky.  I had a couple that were harsh.  I just sent those frames in when I wanted new barrels and requested a trigger job.  No charge...end of problem.  All mine now are clean and crisp.  I've got one now with the opposite problem.  Extra light trigger and hammer strikes.  That's going in for trigger work and a new .45-70 barrel.  I just have to get a round tuit.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:24:13 AM »
We have noted that the new frames out of Ilion seem to have noticeably better triggers... We have compared a dozen older frames vs a dozen newer frames and the pattern seems to hold true... Having said that, I have also done a lot of DIY trigger jobs... And mucked up one doing it... I got a little aggressive on that one, but I was able to salvage parts and fix it up.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »
Cock the hammer back and run some decent lubricant down the face edge of it into the works. Hold the hammer and trigger back and rotate the muzzle upward to let the lube flow down that surface and into the sear notch and all, then let the trigger forward and work it back & forth in the notch by feel. It may help to look at a schematic of the hammer/trigger to get a sense of what I am describing.
It can be surprising what a little lube can do.
If you do take it apart (pins come out the left side) look to see what, if anything, the previous owner may have done. If the parts are good clean that sear tip on the trigger and the hammer notch really well and put a little dab of automotive anti-seize compound (silver or copper colored, it doesnt really matter) in it and reassemble. Be sure to use some good liquid lube in the pin holes.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974