Author Topic: .25-06 AI Handi  (Read 750 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
.25-06 AI Handi
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
I'm thinking of having my .25-06 barrel reamed or renting a reamer to make it .25-06 AI.  Any one here done it themselves and have any comments on the process?

I'm not into it for more power but rather the other benefits of AI like with the K-Hornet.  Improved head spacing and longer case life.  One additional positve feature is the rounds wouldn't go into my .30-06 bolt gun.

Tony

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: .25-06 AI Handi
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
Have thought about it, just never got serious.  Let me know how you like it after you have shot it a bit.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »
I've never used chamber reamer so I'm a bit gun-shy of doing it myself.  I probably shouldn't be as I have a background as a motorcycle mechanic and I know I've done more difficult tasks.  This would be my first time cutting a chamber and I'm afraid I might to trash a good barrel...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
I've done a 270Win to Ackley by hand, worked fine since I basically set the barrel back by milling(with a file  ;)) the chamber face back to clean up the uneven factory barrel face, then fitted the barrel to a different frame,  but you won't be able to shoot factory ammo(as a true Ackley would) in yours if you don't do the same since it will change the neck/shoulder datum most likely, you'll end up with a 25-06 Improved-improved same as my 280 Impr-Impr, you can see the difference between my fireformed brass and the Nosler factory 280AI brass, the 280 barrel was rechambered by Wayne, he said it couldn't be done to fireform factory ammo, you can seat the bullets into the lands to fireform, or neck up and form a false shoulder to headspace on, then fireform, I've done both.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »
If you were nervous before, Tim's post should scare you good and proper!  ;D
I have not done a .25/06, but have done .223 and .243 same basic process... I had no problems what-so-ever using a live pilot reamer from Pacific Tool & Gauge... cut by hand very carefully... trued the breech face via broad bastard file... they both shot mighty fine and sold quick... I am back to standard versions now. I have also done four Hornets to K and .357 Mag to Max and .30/30 to AI. Sold the .30/30 AI because I have a pile of .30/30 levers and didn't want to mess with different cases, the Max is new and I am just starting to play with it... the K's will never be sold as long as I am drawing O2...
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »
Let's just say I'm still nervous.   I installed the barrel today and it seems to lock up like it was made for my frame.  I'm going to smoke the latch later on to see how it's doing for certain later on. 

If I do ream it for AI, I will try to get it done this fall so I can send it in next winter to get reblued.  My fame still looks like new but this barrel is seriously worn on the sides.

On another note, the was a ring worn into the scope I had on the old .223 barrel.  Like it was flexing in the rings.  I'm wondering if the beam strength of the original scope rail was so weak that it was flexing with every shot.  Some one here posted pix of their Ironsighter rail and I liked the look if it so much that I bought one and it's now on the .25-06 barrel.  I'm still wondering if the steel Burris Z rings are too heavy for the unsupported front of the rail and if I should switch over to a DNZ mount. 

Anyway I put a used scope on it that's like a slut, it's gone down on every gun I own at one time or another...   ;D Hopefully it'll be OK on this rifle until I can afford something better.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:46:20 AM »
Rings that have been lapped will look worn.  ;)

Tim

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapping.html

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:44:48 AM »
If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to order a floating pilot reamer with a pilot that fits the bore as opposed to a solid pilot reamer that may or may not fit well, cast the chamber and part of the bore or slug the bore past the throat to find out what size to order. Fred at 4D didn't have a floating pilot reamer for the 270, so I ordered it from Elk Ridge.  http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=171

On the unsupported scope rail issue, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, on a bench rest rifle it may make a difference, but Handis are hunting rifles, the factory style rails works fine for me, if you want just don't put such a big scope on it that you need to mount the front ring over the unsupported part, or use a Warne steel rail, lots of options to work around it if you think it's an issue. The longer rails(Ultra, Weaver 82, EGW) may be an issue with big/heavy scopes, but not so much with the standard shorter rails.  Some concerned folks epoxy bed the unsupported end of the rail, I bought a used 17hmr Sportster locally from a member on another forum with scope mounted on a bedded factory rail, the previous owner had done it in an attempt to improve accuracy, I got it cheap, touched up the crown and removed the oil from the latch and lapped the latch and shelf with a little fine valve grinding compound because it felt funny when pressing the release, removed the rail and the epoxy bedding, remounted the rail properly, it shot well under an inch afterwards.  8)

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
The rings still look like new.  I bought this rifle new and the scope and mounts as well so I would have know if it had been lapped.  What I'm talking about is a groove worn into the scope tube.  It's like the mount was flexing and the edge of the steel ring dug into the aluminum scope. 

I don't know if the factory scope mount was flexing or not but I do know the Ironsighter rail is at least 2x as strong as the factory rail and that gives me a little peace of mind if nothing else.  I need to mount the scope more forward than most people do.  I'm tall and have a long neck and I have to put the scope out there to avoid mark of the magnum...

I'm going to smoke the shelf today to check lock up.  This is a NEF that I bought in 02 and I think is a late 2000 production model.  Anyway no viewing port.  It feels like the lock up is fine but I just need to check for my own satisfaction.  The hand guard seems to sit a tiny bit further forward on this barrel than the original and it now has a wobble when open.  I'm thinking about shimming it tighter but I don't know if I need to.

Anyway I probably won't pick up dies until next week and I want to shoot it awhile before I decided if it's worth the cost to go AI.  I like the idea but I'm not sure I like it enough to spend the bux...

Rings that have been lapped will look worn.  ;)

Tim

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapping.html

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »
Ring marks are common on scopes when the rings aren't lapped, some are much worse than others.  :-\

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
I'll consider lapping the rings if it's like that again when I pony up the bux for a nicer scope. 

I'm thinking about a Leupold VX1 3-9x40 since it's the nicest scope I can afford...   However more brass and a set of dies has to come first...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
The VX1 are pretty much the same as the previous VXII, so go for it!!  ;)

Tim