Author Topic: receiver barrel gap  (Read 528 times)

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
receiver barrel gap
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:47:09 AM »
Checking out my Handi's yesterday and I noticed daylight between the receiver and barrel of one of my factory rifles when action is closed..... Any thoughts?  About 2 thousands..

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: receiver barrel gap
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »
I would add a shim - about 2/1000  and see if the gap was gone and if it locked up ok still and how it performed.  My factory 2004  7mm08 had a gap after a while and I shimmed it and it works just great now. Just follow the FAQ on shimming and you should be good to go.   I use the friction fit and the shim stays in place until you remove the barrel, just put it back when you put the barrel on.  I have a few Handis that have been shimmed in this mannor for years with no issue, as long as you do not remove the barrel the shim is in place.   thejanitor

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:39 AM »
Is it equal top and bottom ? If so a shim might be good . If not there may be more to it.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
How's latch engagement? If poor, it may just need to be refitted. But if it shoots good and the barrel isn't loose without the forend installed, I'd leave it alone. You always have the option of sending it to H&R to be fitted properly if there's a real problem. It could just be an uneven barrel face too.  See the barrel fitting info in the FAQs sticky.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
I think Quick's advice is sound.

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:07:29 AM »
 Barrel is rock solid with forend removed.. I'll shoot it next time I take a walk in the woods. Thanks for the info..  You guys are great...