Author Topic: Another Whelen Brass issue  (Read 432 times)

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Another Whelen Brass issue
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
I was given a bag of 30-06 brass, new in bag, and used my RCBS Rockchucker press and RCBS dies to neck up to the Whelen.  The necked up brass was short, shorter than the standard 2.484 inch minimum my references recommend.  I know there is a little wiggle room here, but do not know how much.  Anyone have a minimum length for the Whelen brass that they would not go below?  I measured some and the sizes varies from about 2.454 to 2.470.  I am loading 200 grain Hornady Jacketed SP in the 2500 to 2650 fps range.  With relatively low velocity loads it may not make much difference.  I hate to through this stuff away.  Would it help to adjust the seating depth of the bullet to allow for the shorter case?
Been reloading for 40 years and have had never had issues until I picked up the Whelen.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Another Whelen Brass issue
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »
I've necked up hundreds of 06 to 35W and had no problems at all.  As long as the bullet is held with enough tension, and it will be, you'll be fine.  If it still makes you nervous, pick up a Le Factory Crimp dies die.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:47:33 AM »
Since it is at most 0.03" short from your measurements, I'd not worry about it - since that's how .35 Whelen cases were made bfore there was factory brass, I'd say most of them were that way initially.  The .35 Whelen is a relatively long necked cartridge (compared to bullet diameter) so there is more than enough neck for bullet tension.  In short, no worries.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »
Thanks fellows.  That is what I needed to here.  Figured as much, but have not had a lot of experience with the Whelen and needed some input. 
I do use shorter than spec 45-70 brass on occassion, but with rather mild loads with some room to play with.