Author Topic: Correct primers for 460 Smith & Wesson  (Read 610 times)

Offline deer140

• Trade Count: (3)
Correct primers for 460 Smith & Wesson
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:50:13 AM »
The loading data that I have 460 Smith & Wesson says to use larger rifle Magnum primers. However, when I use larger magnum primers about half the time I have to re-hit primer make it discharge. To me this is not correct primers are level with the case. I use this same frame on several different barrels and they all shoot fine. I have shot large pistol primer and they were great but not the rifle large mag primers. Is or something that I am doing wrong. Primers are all brand-new. Less three months old. Any responses or help would be very grateful. Thank you. Deer 140

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Correct primers for 460 Smith & Wesson
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
Ask Sourdough.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
My Lyman book lists Win LR Mag and Hornady lists Win LR.  It just depends on whose data you are using.  Just because primers are level with case head does not mean they are bottomed out in the pocket. 

If not bottomed out the firing pin could be moving them to the bottm of the pocket on the first strike and the second strike when they cannot move deeper fires the round.  Also some primers are harder than others.  I think it has been stated here that CCI's are the hardest.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
The correct primers for a 460 S&W Magnum are large rifle or large rifle magnum primers but there is no real need for the magnum version.  In my Encore, I've not had trouble with any type of primers touching off the powder charge but my revolver wouldn't reliable ignite CCI 250 primers.  The primers I generally use are Federal 210M.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
I've used all varieties of Large Rifle primers in my P.C. X-Frame with nary a hitch. If factory ammo shoots fine using LRPs, then I would guess it's because your not settin' the primers deep enough. Them firing on the second strike is a sure sign this is probably the case. I always set mine below flush. If factory ammo needs a second strike also, then I would go with a problem with the gun. It's not the primers.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline shot1

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
Always clean your primer pockets and seat your primers to the bottom of the primer pocket. If you  are having to double strike a primer it is not seated to the bottom of the pocket.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 03:29:35 AM »
So sorry.  A primer failing to ignite on the first firing pin strike is not always, maybe not even most often, caused by failing to seat the primer deeply enough.