Author Topic: Scale Comparison  (Read 960 times)

Offline RiverHawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Scale Comparison
« on: February 22, 2004, 04:01:48 AM »
After thinking about the cost of powder measures for black powder,( I have about a dozen storebought ones ) and thinking about substitutes to measure powder with, I have used cut off shotgun hulls and other various plastic tubes. I have been looking for something that is common and that you wouldn't care if you lost it. This morning I was wondering about how much Pyrodex RS that a 45 70 case would hold. I setup my scales and found out that my once fired Federal case would hold 51 grains.
  My question is ( if you are interested ) is how much does your scale say that the 45 70 case holds of Pryodex RS ?
  There must be a lot of shooters that have the cases and shoot black powder. Any takers ?
  I have to say also that I appreciate the forum and the ones who run it, I am a Marlin refugee. I have been here most of the time since the MT forum was suspended.

RiverHawk
I no longer wish to be a member, to be removed from your data base.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Scale Comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 07:14:15 AM »
RiverHawk, I load 45-70 with black powder and Pyrodex RS for my Shiloh Sharps. In the fired Winchester brass I can get 58.2 gr. of either black powder or Pyrodex RS in the case. That is by weight not volume.  In my fired Remington brass I get 54.8 gr. of black powder or Pyrodex RS in the case. I did it a couple of times with each case and it was real close to the number I posted here. Just remember black powder and Pyrodex RS settle different each time and the weight changes ever so slightly. Hope this helps.  :D

Redhawk1
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA