Author Topic: CVA 1858 Remington revolver  (Read 1286 times)

Offline historybuff

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA 1858 Remington revolver
« on: February 22, 2004, 04:03:28 AM »
Anybody know which company makes this revolver? Pietta? Was a brass frame Remington reaiiy used in the Civil War?
Will the brass frame hold up for light use?
Its on sale now at Midway. Here is a link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/emailshowpage/2202004/56001077

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Brass Frames
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 05:22:46 AM »
I don't believe a true copy of the Remington appeared in brass during the war.  There were other pistol styles that appeared in brass however.  Perhaps I'll take some flak for this, but I'd prefer someone buy a brass framed Remmy copy than a brass framed Colt copy.  Because of money concerns, some people can't afford to go any higher.  However, with Cabela's you can buy a steel framed Remington for about $179 and they are life-time guns.  

If it came down to a brass framed Remmy or none at all, by all means get the brass framed one and enjoy it.  Use 20 to 25 grains of black and you will likely not wear it out!  It's better to enjoy brass framed cap and ball revolvers than it is to forego the pleasure of cap and ball!

My vote, however, would be to save your allowance (parental or spousal) and go with the Cabela's offering in steel.  Good luck.

Dan C

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 05:49:03 AM »
Howdy Pards,

What follows is a cut&paste that I put on another board regarding Remmies and the various finsishes available:

From the last paragraph on page 82 of 'Remington Handguns' by Karr & Karr: Quote:
The 1875s generally encountered are equipped with lanyard loops, oil finished walnuts grips and either of two types of fixed front sights. One type is the common blade front, and the other is a small iron sight a la New Model .44 percussion. Custom built guns have been found with short (5 1/2 inch) barrels, without lanyard loops, with brass or German Silver blade front sights, with engraving, or special finish or grips.

On page 58 of the Karr & Karr book is a picture of converted percussion Pocket Revolver, Plate # XXIV, heavily engraved with ivory grips and either unfinshed steel or nickle plated difficult to discern due to B&W photo) Text on page 59 states: Quote:
NEW MODEL POCKET REVOLVER A presentation coversion of this model in the Remington Family collection carried serial number "18,270". Another specimen, otherwise standard, had a bronze frame.

On page 109 of 'The Remington Historical Treasury of American Handguns' by Harold Peterson, is a picture of a "matched pair' of Remington revolvers, an 1875 and an 1890 both with 7 1/2 inch barrels with Mother of Pearl grips. Both are nickle plated and the 75 has an engraved barrel while the 90 has an engraved frame. On page 49 is a picture of a New Model Navy that is heavily engraved, with ivory grips and a two tone metal finish. The frame and barrel appear to be either nickle or bare steel while the cylinder is much darker and appears to have been blued. Again it is difficult to discern due to the B&W photo, but it is obviously two different finishes on the same gun.

Obviously there were any number of special order finishes available directly from Remington and probably from secondary sources such as custom gunsmiths. So the new Hartford reproduction with case hardened frame may well be very accurate, albiet surprizing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the above may not definately address the issue of brass framed New army Model Remingtons, but there was always a possibility!

Regarding the Colt style brass frames, I seem to recall that the ones made in the south were based on the Colt Army, but actually had a Dragoon style barrel. The early CVA brass framed "Colts" were probably the most authentic of such reproductions as they had the brass frame and Dragoon style octagon to round barrels.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 03:31:53 PM »
MidwayUSA have that exact gun on sale for $99.99.