Author Topic: 45 Colt dies questions  (Read 528 times)

Offline Anonym

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
    • AREA 5150
45 Colt dies questions
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:02:52 AM »
Hey fellas.  Got another question for you!  I ended up getting a "set" of used dies at online auction for my 45 Colt, which is a TC Contender Carbine.  I only received the Sizer/Decapper and the Expander.  Both dies are RCBS.  Here are my questions:

• The expander die has a "45 ACP" insert.  I'm shooting jacketed bullets (.451-.452 dia).  I should be fine with this insert, correct?  Will the "45 Colt" expander plug be a little larger in diameter, or is there any difference between the two?
  • I am missing the seater/crimp die.  Being that I'm shooting a Contender, I should be able to use a taper crimp or a roll crimp die, right?  Some of the bullets I'm shooting do not have a cannelure, so should I look for a taper over a roll?  Is a 45 ACP Seater/Crimper sufficient for what I need?  (Looking to keep options open.)
  • Anyone have what I need to have a fully functional set of dies?
Thank you very much!

Anonym
Can't hardly wait on deer season and the 2016 Presidential Elections...

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45 Colt dies questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:56 AM »
Hey fellas.  Got another question for you!  I ended up getting a "set" of used dies at online auction for my 45 Colt, which is a TC Contender Carbine.  I only received the Sizer/Decapper and the Expander.  Both dies are RCBS.  Here are my questions:

• The expander die has a "45 ACP" insert.  I'm shooting jacketed bullets (.451-.452 dia).  I should be fine with this insert, correct?  Will the "45 Colt" expander plug be a little larger in diameter, or is there any difference between the two? I think you would find the other expander used for lead bullets which are larger in dia.
  • I am missing the seater/crimp die.  Being that I'm shooting a Contender, I should be able to use a taper crimp or a roll crimp die, right?  Some of the bullets I'm shooting do not have a cannelure, so should I look for a taper over a roll?  Is a 45 ACP Seater/Crimper sufficient for what I need?  (Looking to keep options open.) I like a profile (Redding die to be exact) crimp die ( I know most like a roll crimp for revolver rounds ) I can set the crimp to fill the crimp grove. With out a grove I set it to put just a slight crimp on the case. With a contender other for sure or better combustion there is little need to crimp. There is no chance of another bullet feeling the force of recoil. How will you seat the bullet ? There are sites on line that sell dies one at a time , some of the less well known sites do a search. 
  • Anyone have what I need to have a fully functional set of dies?
Thank you very much!

Anonym
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Anonym

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
    • AREA 5150
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:02:27 AM »
Thanks for the info SHOOTALL.  I had looked at those Redding dies, but yes, I would need a die that permits seating as well as crimping.  Might be something to look into if I find a seater die and don't want to crimp at the same time.
Can't hardly wait on deer season and the 2016 Presidential Elections...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:05:19 AM »
I can assure you seating and crimping done in separate operations will enhance accuracy IMHO. I can't remember the sites but a while back I was looking for a die set and a couple sites had dies for sale one at a time.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:06:12 AM »
Maybe one of the sites that sold Forrster or other less well know brand.