Author Topic: The Handi bug bits again  (Read 639 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
The Handi bug bits again
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
So the handi bug bit again and I stupidly bid on a 7mm-08 on Gunbroker since I was sure someone would out bid me.  I pick it up tomorrow.  Anyway the description said it has some flecking on the receiver. I know I probably won't get it all off but what have you had the best luck with in removing as much as possible?  I picked up some of the cheapo pads for non-stick pans today (the woven nylon ones) and have a can of Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.  The local hardware store sells Kroil, I've never bought it since I've never needed it.

Thanks.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: The Handi bug bits again
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
I've always used copper pot scrubbers from the grocery store and automatic transmission fluid to scrub rust spots off blued guns.  The worst one was an old .22 Stevens single shot that after I got all the rust off, it looked like it had been browned like an old flintlock...

Tony

Offline Libraryhound

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
I have to stay off gunbroker or the wife will take my computer rights away. :)  I bet you'll love that 7-08..
Good luck on the finsh.
Libraryhound
H&R carbine classic frame with topper deluxe 20ga barrel & 444marlin barrel(pending), Ruger no.3 in 444marlin(pending), Ruger Mark III standard 6", Ruger Super Blackhawk ss. 44mag Talo 3.75", Savage hog hunter 223 rem, Glock 21sf,

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
What are you guys paying in FFL fees to receive your guns bought on line?  The closest one to me (that I know of) charges $45 and that's been a deal breaker for me way too many times.   By the time I pay that and the Oregon transfer tax, it's 55 bux more and I might as well buy local.

I hope to find someone else to receive a gun for me so I can get in on some of these deals.

Tony

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
What are you guys paying in FFL fees to receive your guns bought on line?  The closest one to me (that I know of) charges $45 and that's been a deal breaker for me way too many times.   By the time I pay that and the Oregon transfer tax, it's 55 bux more and I might as well buy local.

I hope to find someone else to receive a gun for me so I can get in on some of these deals.

Tony

The only reason I look for Handi's on-line is because the guy I get most of my reloading stuff from only charges $15 for transfers.  He's a tiny one man shop.  Everyone else charges $30 or more for the transfer.

$55 in fees plus $25-35 shipping is a killer.  There's no way to make the math work unless you really want it or it's a heck of a deal.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
The best thing I have ever used for mild rust spots is Blue Wonder.

BW

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »
I 2nd Blue Wonder and also Evaporust. God Bless to all and theirs.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »

Tony
geezerbiker - Go to the gunbroker website, they have a list of FFL dealers that will do the transfer for you at a decent price.  Take the dealers list and call them to get the best price.

The best thing I have ever used for mild rust spots is Blue Wonder.

BW
Never used it, but will keep this in mind for the future.  Thanks for the tip.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.