Author Topic: Problems with 25-06  (Read 434 times)

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Problems with 25-06
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
I bought what I believe a is a H&R Handi rifle with a 26" 25-06 barrel few years ago. Since then I've added a few barrels and all fit well. I could never get the results with the 25-06 I expected throwing 3" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I put it away and haven't shot it in a few years. This week I took it out of the safe thinking I would work up some loads for it. I checked the barrel lock up and it is fine. I examined the once fired factory cases and the primers have been flattened. Now I'm concerned. I looked at the 25-06 barrel and there no serial number engraved in it. I then started looking at the frame. It doesn't say SB1, SB2 or Handi Rifle. The serial # is HJ294XXX.

Is this a Handi-Rifle frame? Why am I getting flattened primers? If the chamber is bad can it be repaired by reaming it to AI as others have done?

:o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Problems with 25-06
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
Remove the stock and compare the frame to the pics of the differences between frames in the FAQs, or call H&R and ask what it is, what barrel was on it from the factory, they'll know by the serial number. Frames aren't marked SB1 or SB2. Excess headspace can cause flattened primers, if it's out of spec, H&R may replace it. Proper handloads would make it work just fine after fireforming brass and not pushing the shoulder back when sizing.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Problems with 25-06
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »
Thank you! I may have some unfired cases I can compare the fired ones to. I'll work up some mild loads with fire formed neck sized cases and let you know what I find. Thanks again.