Author Topic: Powder Coating Cast Bullets  (Read 4865 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Powder Coating Cast Bullets
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »
Love this PC stuff!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 12:02:32 AM »
I've dabbled in it, but only "so far".

#2 & #4 are respectively Smokes yellow and black.  #1 is GC'd, and sized.  #3 is GC'd, sized, and lubed.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 01:49:30 AM »
I PC everything I cast these days. I even re supplied my self in MAXI-balls and pc'd them! (I realize its mostly moot)
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2021, 01:33:15 AM »
I wanted to have some REAL Hard Cast on hand. For my 10mm. I Dont intend on needing them but like to be prepared. ;)

This is a MP 402-200 mold with solid pins dropping a WFN just under 200g in this allow. (It is 200 with COWW)

I received a order from the powder coat store with a couple New colors and three more to replenish used up colors.

I Cast up about 300 of these and split the batch so I could PC 1/2 Metallic Candy Ted and try another color. I chose Mellon. I didnt care for it. Its school us yellow and has many thin looking spots. Its COMPLETELY covered and perfectly fine. Im just picky. The Red came out as all "candie" colors do as its a translucent not opaque color with allot of clear. So again 100% covered just thin in spots. BOTH look real good from a foot or more away and BOTH will work Perfectly.

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 11:48:33 PM »
smoke told me for high velocity the yellow is best. I like to mix yellow and black 5050 and it turns out about a perfect od green. I use that color for all my plain based bullets and black for the gas checked ones. That way if i use a mold that will cast plain base and gas checked bullets i can easily look at the loaded round and know which bullet it is. Then for plinking bullets out of soft lead i use just yellow.
I've dabbled in it, but only "so far".

#2 & #4 are respectively Smokes yellow and black.  #1 is GC'd, and sized.  #3 is GC'd, sized, and lubed.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 12:55:16 AM »
I have been doing similarly Lloyd!   I reviewed a Satin BLK tge other day that has costed best blk yet! https://youtu.be/NWdD6gvcFUw

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 04:10:36 AM »
I have an equation in TOO MANY variables that I am trying to solve right now.  Too many trials and too much failure of my own making.

My Goal - accurize a 1:9 Bull Barrel Handi-rifle using an RCBS 22-55-SP with or without its GC
My alloy is 49/49/2 - Pb/WW/Sn

Some are water dropped
Some are air cooled

I am brand new to PC'ing.  In my first 4 batches:

I PC'd some with Smokes Yellow and some with OD Green then air cooled
I PC'd some with Smokes Yellow and some with OD Green then water dropped

I lubed and sized some with and some without GC

I PC'd before GC (sized after PC)
I PC'd after GC (sized before PC)

I proceeded to load to jacketed bullet velocity in my ladder charges and achieved lead dust (i.e. no boolits on target).
I know the road from here that must now be traveled though I am greatly frustrated....

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2021, 04:32:02 AM »
I have never ever  disintegrated  a cast bullet... ::). As mentioned, if a cast bullet has a GC shank, and you are wanting best accuracy... INSTALL A CHECK!  Regardless of "lube". Generally harder is better for accuracy in a rifle.
Generally EVERY batch if PC'd bullets gets water quenched from the oven. Only exception is for HP that I want as soft as possible.

Generally I GC AFTER coating BUT... some bullets make this difficult at best. These I will gc THEN COAT. But I ALWAYS size last.
I guess one exception would be if I really wanted a fat bullet.

Good luck

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2021, 10:39:51 PM »
I am not buying a push through sizer.  I already own an RCBS LAMII.

Adding the GC "requires" the boolit to be sized in one operation on a LAMII...or a "short stroke" could be done, but why bother with that? 

The point being, sizing brings the boolit's driving bands into uniform diameter.  PC then adds another 0.001" to 0.0015" to its diameter.  Sizing after PC brings the diameter back to the die body and seems counter productive to a "tighter fit" in the barrel. 

Sizing before PC seems like it should be good to go.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
I agree totaly. Harder is almost ALWAYS more accurate and gas checked bullets are almost always more accurate too. A plain base will shoot well too if its hard enough but a gas checked design without a check installed is rarely going to give you the best results.
I have never ever  disintegrated  a cast bullet... ::). As mentioned, if a cast bullet has a GC shank, and you are wanting best accuracy... INSTALL A CHECK!  Regardless of "lube". Generally harder is better for accuracy in a rifle.
Generally EVERY batch if PC'd bullets gets water quenched from the oven. Only exception is for HP that I want as soft as possible.

Generally I GC AFTER coating BUT... some bullets make this difficult at best. These I will gc THEN COAT. But I ALWAYS size last.
I guess one exception would be if I really wanted a fat bullet.

Good luck
blue lives matter