Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 585 times)

Offline Lifesabeach06

• Trade Count: (0)
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:24 AM »
Well I just joined this forum because of all the info about the H&R shotguns. I have heard alot of people say they are tack drivers and have been looking for a lighter better slug gun to replace my mossberg 930. I ended up buying three of the H&R's. two for me and one for my dad. I chose a 12 gauge tracker 2 and a 20 gauge ultra light slug hunter with the monte carlo stock. After shooting them I experienced the hard kick everyonevtalks about. I shot hornady sst out of the tracker and was on the cardboard at 100yds though im not a great shot. The ULSH is going to be getting a scope but undecided which to go with. Looking at the 2-7x33 accu range redfield. Love the guns overall exspecially the wieght and fit of them. Any suggestions are appreciated hope to see you around thanks!

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »
Welcome to our forum beach06.  Can't help you much with slug guns since in Louisiana rifles are quite legal.  I do hunt with Pardner shotguns though and love them.  Yes, they do kick but it's a simple law of physics.  My 12 gauge weighs only 5 Lbs 6.5 oz and my 20 comes in at 5 Lbs 3/4 oz.  I just stay away from high brass loads, usually sticking with 1 oz even for the 12 gauge.  Wouldn't hurt to get a slip on "Sissy pad".  I did.  Don't worry about the recoil from your slug guns.   Simply use a bean or sand bag between your shoulder and the butt when sighting them.  When actually shooting deer they have no recoil at all.

Offline SupplySgt65

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:39:06 AM »
LAB06- That scope should be fine. I prefer a fixed power scope for my slug gun. I have an older Pentax 4x32 mounted on a Mossberg 500. This combination cloverleafs at a 100yds with either the 2-3/4" Hornady SST or the Remington Premier Accu-tips. Finding the slug that your gun likes is usually the most difficult and expensive part of the process.
SupplySgt65

Offline Lifesabeach06

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Any one have any luck with the nikon omega muzzelloader scope on kne of the h&r. Looks like it would be a good size for it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
I have three of the Nikon Omega Shotgun scopes, one on a 45-70 SS Ultra Hunter, one on a 22" 45-70 Handi, and another on a Tikka T-3 Lite 338 WinMag, they work fine, that 5" of eye relief sure is nice!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain